Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 8  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: March 27th, 2015, 9:22 pm
David Latuch wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
David Latuch wrote:

Ace,

I've pull the drawing of Jean Bart as a Guided Missile Battleship out of list.

Sorry to offend.

David
oh, don't worry about offending me (that is not that easy), just watching the quality of the archive a bit ;)
I understand and agree whole heartedly--which is why I didn't balk.
great to hear that ;) would have disliked a discussion to end up around this......
now, if you want to improve the drawing, feel free to ask my help ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: March 28th, 2015, 1:15 pm
heuhen wrote:
Krakatoa wrote:
Ahhhh - the weird inscription was the signature of the designer, DNC of the Admiralty, d'Eyncourt.
well we don't do that here in shipbucket, all that goes on the drawing is, the country an class/ship name text and artist text.
Does it course any harm ? I can see why for some rules like not to have gradient shading (makes it hard to modify drawings etc) but cant see any reason not to add other things that don't get in the way such as crests (well accepted for ships) or information about spec ( b side sheets ?) etc ? It adds to the feel and gives some information (who designed it) so why not add it ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: March 28th, 2015, 1:35 pm
basicly it is harmless habbit. But in effect making a rule of it would be really hard to compose since where would we draw the line about what can be added to the image and what not? All such rules usually detoriates into useless pedantry that begun only serving itself rather than making things easier for artists. SB is about uniformality in its grand scales and our templates and the system used constitutes quite much of this.
Nothing prevents you guys posting your shipdrawings in all sort of artistically appeasing formats and sheets here in the forum, but as for uploading it goes, you should use the standard templates.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: March 29th, 2015, 10:37 am
some minor issues with the upload:
- the super daring 3556 tons drawing is missing
- due to, for some reason, the new drawings of the super darings being uploaded with the comma in the filename while the original ones were not, they did not replace them directly and are now duplicated.
- the spruance class is now a bit messy due to some drawings replacing the older ones as they should, and some which due to capitalization or different dates do not. I will look into that later on, after more spruance class drawings are done, so all can be fixed once and for all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 10:49 am
David
Your last upload of American ships needs some corrections to the templates, as there seems to be large variations in your fonts size and style.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 4:51 pm
well really good tip would be that if you want your drawings replace olderones, rename them exactly the same as the replaced ones, thats a good gurantee to get them the actually replaced. otherwise I migth miss something. I suggest not to go changing filenames unless the older ones are completely or clearly erroneous.

also, the SB has rather clear and existing filename convention. Please, always use it. No ruling has been made that would allow all sort of deviations from these guidelines that has creeped around lately. last round I did qite lot of manual renaming of the files, but next time I will do it significantly less

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 5:49 pm
that is actually no guarantee that drawings are replaced. file extensions (our move of .gif of the past to .PNG now), different representation years or representative ships of the class, and in the cases I described above one of them is actually due to a different person doing the uploading, the files replaced the older ones in my own folder and were thus uploaded with the same name, but were not in the upload. while some duplication can be prevented by using the same name, someone cleaning up and checking these filenames is required to not make a mess of the archive, IMO.

in addition, didn't we have a policy of not overwriting and thus loosing old drawings and instead put them in the museum folder?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 6:14 pm
Quote:
in addition, didn't we have a policy of not overwriting and thus loosing old drawings and instead put them in the museum folder
there has been discussion over this, but no actuall policy, ruling or working practice of using the museum sofar.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 6:19 pm
actually, there is working practise, the team that cleaned up the archive in the past has made an museum folder as well (as a lot of older drawings would otherwise be lost)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: 1st New Order Discussion thread.Posted: April 10th, 2015, 6:20 pm
@Gollevainen
Actually the current filename conventions are described here:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =10&t=4165
You gave the link to old rules. ;)

And yeah, during the archive clean-up there was indeed a significant effort made to create a museum to preserve older works (in respect to the efforts of their Authors).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 8  [ 77 posts ]  Return to “New Upload Announcements” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: