Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Andrzej1
Post subject: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 5th, 2016, 8:10 am
[ img ]
Greetings to all! Recently I was searching for drawings of israeli Saar-1 and Saar-2 Fast Attack Crafts, but, unfortunately, I couldn't find them on a shipbucket. So, I made a drawing of Saar-1 class patrol craft using picture of a missile boat from the New Friesland AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 6th, 2016, 7:01 pm
Welcome to Shipbucket, and it is a nice try on the Saar 1 class.
And now for your drawing, which is wrong in many ways.
The Cherbourg boats were known in Israel as Sa'ar 3. Israeli boats never had the 'egg' of the Dutch HSA radar control, but a combination of French and Italian systems which were further developed in Israel.
The boats also never had depth charges like you have here. The superstructure is wrong, and lastly Israeli boats didn't usually carry numbers, and certainly not "P24", although some Sa'ar 1 boats had them on the bridge
See picture for Sa'ar 1 INS Miznak (large [pcture).
[ img ]

See picture below for Sa'ar 1 INS Mivtach
[ img ]

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:20 pm
Not a bad try, but I based that design off of some unbuilt German boats, the 147 Klasse, "Einheitsplatforms" with a strictly AU layout of electronics. These vessels are probably closer to the Saar II, than I. I understand how some of the confusion could have occurred, however, as the Saar, and German boats are all derivatives of the basic French La Combattante Family.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 8th, 2016, 4:43 pm
Actually Israeli Saar are a Lurssen design, which is a derivative of Klasse 140 torpedo boats, made from steel instead of wood. Saar 1 hull was used for creation of Lurssen FPB-45. Later FPB-57 has very similar hull with Saar 3/4. However, these lare Saars are a bit narrower than FPB-57. Combattante II has many differences, although related to Saar 1.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 8th, 2016, 9:10 pm
The French La Combattante family are all based on the Lurssen boat design, with some French made changes, by the Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie (CMN), at Cherbourg, and was composite built of wood and plastic to lower the boat's magnetic signature, while the the Lurssen boats were all steel. Sa'ar 1 were French built to the Lurssen design.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Israeli Saar-class FACsPosted: August 9th, 2016, 2:10 pm
Thanks for the clarification on that! I always found it odd that a company renowned for FACs, like Lurssen would need to build a French design. I think my misunderstanding came from a poorly worded Wiki article on one of the German series of boats.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: