Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Ashley
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 22nd, 2010, 8:13 pm
Colombamike wrote:
:o arfffffffffffff :cry:
Sorry Mike, but the French once knew how to build a really ugly ship. Later they did it very much better but those armored cruisers of the late 19th... :shock: :cry: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 22nd, 2010, 9:56 pm
I don't think this particular ship is all that ugly, really.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 22nd, 2010, 10:01 pm
Ashley wrote:
Sorry Mike, but the French once knew how to build a really ugly ship. Later they did it very much better but those armored cruisers of the late 19th... :shock: :cry: :lol:
The French ships are not ugly IMHO, but odd looking, a certain look about them which says "bonne journée, je suis ici,regarde-moi" ;)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 7:35 am
Re the topedo tubes, I'm not sure why you've chosen to angle them, as it was the light Hotchkiss guns in the masts which I suggested you show fore and aft. Re the scuttles, sorry, but I don't buy that they would be of two diferent sizes immediately above each other, and why the darker shading around them? Just one last point: you've shown shading on the verticle surfaces, to indicate a curve? That is good, but you need to show as the light coming from one diretction - from the bow aft is the norm, so you'd have a lighter shade to the front but leaving the darker shade to the rear. I would still darken the shading on some of the overhangs as in some places it just doesn't show that well; and I would still show more of a diference in hue between the hull and the superstructure.

My last comment :)

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 2:07 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Re the topedo tubes, I'm not sure why you've chosen to angle them
Me neither... I guess I just misunderstood you :roll:
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Re the scuttles, sorry, but I don't buy that they would be of two diferent sizes immediately above each other, and why the darker shading around them?
Here, a picture is worth a thousand words :)
Attachment:
Latouche-Treville scuttles.jpg
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Just one last point: you've shown shading on the verticle surfaces, to indicate a curve? That is good, but you need to show as the light coming from one diretction
I kind of thought that the light is coming directly from above... As for shading on the turrets - that's because of their oval shape:
Attachment:
Latouche-Treville turrets.jpg
So, I guess this is the final version unless something major comes up.
Attachment:
ACR Latouche-Treville.png

Last edited by WhyMe on November 23rd, 2010, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 2:40 pm
I like it. Good job on the work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 8:23 pm
Some style issues which are glaringly obvious:
one the gun-tube (barrels if you so inclined to call them) shoul be the same color of the turret.
Shading of the aft turret is wrong as PB pointed out, it should be shaded as if the light is coming from the bows. That meant a lighter shade in the side closer to the bows and a darker shade for the side closer to the stern.
The ladders are wrong in style in the parts sheet Here there are some parts that are used generally in all ships be they from France, Germany or the former Soviet Union, ladders are like this as well as railings and doors as well as scuttles/portholes.
All in all you have made fine progress, as French 19th century ships are not easy to draw.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 9:08 pm
Thanks for the constructive critique; I will certainly fix the problems mentioned. Although I'm not sure about one thing:
Novice wrote:
as well as railings and doors as well as scuttles/portholes.
Are you saying that doors and scuttles a also wrong or those are just examples of standard things?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 11:27 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Thanks for the constructive critique; I will certainly fix the problems mentioned. Although I'm not sure about one thing:
Novice wrote:
as well as railings and doors as well as scuttles/portholes.
Are you saying that doors and scuttles a also wrong or those are just examples of standard things?
There are NO standard doors, scuttles, and portholes. There are so many variations of those that each class of ship (especially older ones like this) has it's own dimensions regarding these. The ones on the style sheet are useful references, or for if you simply don't have the details of the real thing.

Railings are tougher. You've used a standard railing, but in a couple of places (front lifeboat setup) your ropework runs in front of the railing, and since you've used exactly the same color for that there is some confusion.
Mind you, if a railing was of a really unusual design and you think you can draw that, don't hesitate to do so. I did a lot of work on the new railings for the LCF, especially in the front. Looks great, but not something for the faint of heart. You've got to know what you're doing when pulling out the kind of tricks I did. Just be consequent in your application of your work, don't mix two styles of anything unless there's a really good reason.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: French armoured cruiser Latouche-TrévillePosted: November 23rd, 2010, 11:47 pm
The railings are pretty generic on this ship but thanks for the advice! Btw is there a standard color for ropework? If no, can you suggest on that?

Ok, I've fixed ladders, railings, guns, ropeworks, searchlights and shading: [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: