Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 10th, 2022, 3:25 pm
It's not only sheer, it's pretty common even on ships with no sheer near the midships area. The uneven funnel height combined with the rake creates the impression that the ship is faster than it really is.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 10th, 2022, 3:44 pm
Interesting about the funnels, I thought it was done to make sure the fumes from the funnel in front. doesn't hit the funnel behind it.

The shading in the bow, some you probably have seen on many drawings on the internett, they are exaggerated, the hull shape of Olympic class but also similar style ships, doesn't have that exaggerated shape of the bow, where it suddenly after the bridge goes 45 degrees in for the go voer to be almost flatt, just some purpose build ferriers/ror-ships do that, and that one cruise ship with that weird bow shape, that I can't remember. I can literately head into the city and take a picture of a ship that have similar type of hull as Olympic class (just on a smaller scale) build in the same era, to show how almost flat those hull shape are.

I did find these, after a fast google search!:
This one you probably have already seen, but you can still see the hull shape:
http://www.titanic-cad-plans.com/olympic/

Picture for how to (sort off) shade the Olympic class, you can easily see the hull shape:
[ img ]
[ img ]

This model is not precises but it give an indication to how the hull look:
[ img ]

The best drawing I could find:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 11th, 2022, 11:49 am
Armoured man wrote: *
Quote:
The aft funnel is still too tall, it was slightly shorter than the others.
This is not a problem that is limited to the fourth funnel. A slightly less known facts about the Olympic class ocean liners, is that each funnel was actually slightly different from each other in terms of overall height. I don't know the exact technical reason why this was the case, but I believe it is something to do with the ships sheer, also I have pointed out many times on the discord, that each funnel should not be the same height as each other, yet Codum has either ignore what I said or simply not taking it into account when drawing his representation of the Olympic class ocean liners
the question i have is what the exact heights the funnels are.

also,i had to leave it out since the sheer of this drawing isn't the same as on the plans due to being made in the 2000s.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 13th, 2022, 1:22 pm
so i've given a similar treatment of CanisD's Nomadic drawing:

[ img ]

Last edited by CodumCallum1666 on January 26th, 2023, 4:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 13th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Very nice work! I hope they restore the mast of the actual ship someday...

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 16th, 2022, 7:32 pm
I like the old steamers. Very nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Updated RMS OLympic and Titanic.Posted: September 21st, 2022, 5:10 am
I haven't posted it initially, but I also made versions without lifebouts alongside them so as to also include detail on the deckhouses usually obscured by them.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: