Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: September 30th, 2020, 9:03 pm
Hi all!

Austria's only pair of second class protected cruisers: SMS Kaiser Franz Joseph I and Kaiserin Elisabeth.

They were ordered as an answer to Italy's Elswick-type cruisers Giovanni Bausan and her home-grown successors. They carried two 240mm guns in barbettes fore and aft, theoretically enabling them to engage older ironclad battleships from safe distance (as the Japanese did at the Yalu in 1894); secondary armament were six 150mm guns and fifteen (Elisabeth only thirteen) 47mm guns (best guess based upon photographic evidence; written sources vary between nine and 16 47mm). They were good steamers capable of 20 knots, which was a good figure in 1890, and their built-up superstructure made them quite habitable. The paintjob apparently changed frequently; I've found photographs with white, black and (probably) buff funnels, and with black and buff or brown (the latter colour is shown on contemporary paintings of Austrian warships) funnels.
[ img ]

Both spent about half their careers in the far east, when they were painted white with brown (or buff, see above) masts.
[ img ]

After 1900, they were refitted. They landed their 240mm guns in favour of two more 150mm guns; Elisabeth's were placed behind gunshields in the old 240mm barbettes, while Franz Joseph's were mounted in single turrets. Now their light armament was unified with 16 47mm guns. They also received a wireless rig.
[ img ]

Elisabeth was in Tsingtau in 1914 and had to be scuttled when the Japanese took over. Franz Joseph spent the war as an auxiliary and was ceded to the Allies in 1918; before she could be handed over, she sank in a storm.
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: September 30th, 2020, 10:25 pm
Simply marvelous........

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 1st, 2020, 8:03 pm
Amazing works of art. Well done friend!

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 1st, 2020, 9:04 pm
Excellent work following them through the configuration changes.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 4:11 pm
The above-water bow torpedo tube (and I think above-water tubes just forward of the aft 240mm?) is highly notable. I've never seen that before. Great drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 6:16 pm
Hope "some" means MORE, cause i can't wait to see them.............................. :D

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 3rd, 2020, 8:18 am
Lovely work, great drawings and always love to see more Austria-Hungarian ships.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 3rd, 2020, 11:00 pm
Very nice drawings, GC! just like ever! I am specially surprised by the different color schemes of the cruiser.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 4:52 pm
Hi all!

Austria's first armoured cruiser: Kaiserin und Königin Maria Theresia.

A modestly sized (5.300 ts mean) ship of modest speed (19.5 kts) and modest protection (incomplete 100mm belt and 100mm turrets), but good armament for her size (2x 240mm and 8x 150mm plus 14 47mm), she was best compared to her slightly bigger spanish contemporaries of the Infanta Maria Teresa type (little wonder, even the name was similar). With two military masts and well-proportioned looks, she was (imho) quite handsome, but no very good design, suffering from excessive topweight; in addition, some of her secondaries were placed on main deck level and thus unusable except in a dead calm at low speed. Also, her main guns had very slow ROF.
[ img ]

The low funnels were heightened at some point around the turn of the century. She also received an enlarged pilothouse.
[ img ]

During a major reconstruction in 1909, the military masts were cut down, and the main guns were swapped with modern, rapid firing 190mm Skoda pieces.
[ img ]

Topweight and seakeeping apparently still were issues, because at some point afterwards the secondaries were relocated and the overhanging casemates eliminated, along with most of the breastwork. During the war (don't ask me when exactly) she had a w/t rig; it does not show on earlier photographs, at least I failed to spot it. For some reason, the forefunnel was enlarged.
[ img ]

The ship was in active service till 1916; by February 1917, she was disarmed and reduced to an accomodation hulk. She was scrapped in 1920.

I was surprised how much work that one would be. Before I drew her, I had no idea she was rebuilt so often.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Some Austrian cruisersPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 5:14 pm
She might not be a particulary round design, bot she does look good.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: