Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Richelieu180
Post subject: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 11th, 2022, 9:59 am
The Maya class of guided missile destroyers (まや型護衛艦, Maya-gata Goeikan) in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force is a modified version of the Atago class, with an updated Aegis Combat System and electric propulsion system. Maya was commissioned on March 19, 2020. Haguro was commissioned on March 19, 2021.(Wikipedia)

Currently, this is my current work of both ships as of now:

DDG-179 Maya (まや)
[ img ]

DDG-180 Haguro (はぐろ)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 11th, 2022, 1:08 pm
Always great to see more Japanese ships on here! Awesome work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Richelieu180
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 11th, 2022, 2:59 pm
This is the re-upload of my current work.

During discussion in Discord, we notice a lot of technical mistakes and missing parts from my work and because of that. I decided to revise it and add the missing parts. For that matter, I'm humbly apologize.

As of now, this is the current progress (hoping to be finalize)...

DDG-179 Maya (まや)
[ img ]

DDG-180 Haguro (はぐろ)
[ img ]

As you can see, I used different anti-fouling paint on JS Haguro for reference sent by BB1987 during discussion. Here is what he sent.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Also, there is no AN/SPQ-9B radar installed on JS Haguro yet. I was only based on YouTube vlogs of our Japanese friends(although it is from 9 months ago. A terrible mistake) and as it was commissioned. But still, it has a good look even without it.

Again, I'm humbly apologize for my mistake.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 11th, 2022, 11:05 pm
Very nice work! Got any other Japanese ships planned?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Richelieu180
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 12th, 2022, 3:20 am
Hmmm... I'm not decided yet. But maybe the Asahi ones or revamping Hiruen's work for Mogami-class (adding appropriate missiles and helicopter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rainmaker
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 13th, 2022, 2:49 pm
Hi Richelieu180, welcome to Shipbucket. First, I want to say nice work with these Maya - class Destroyer drawings, they present a very solid first entry. There are a few areas that could use some work, I've taken the liberty of pointing them out in no particular order. Please don't take this as too severe of a criticism, rather just a few recommendations that you can use to improve this drawing and any future drawings you might create.

[ img ]

1. Rudder. Are you sure the rudder meets the hull so far up like you have depicted now? Something tells me it shouldn't join the hull so close to the waterline.

2. Propeller. I don't think this is the appropriate propeller for the Maya - class. It seems like a generic propeller that was taken from a different drawing. I'd recommend reviewing your sources and seeing if you can reproduce the actual propeller of this design.

3. The area where the propeller shaft meets the hull doesn't follow the form of the hull. Also, it is common to use your darkest hull colour shade to colour the top of this shape, as it doesn't meet the hull at an exact 90-degree angle. I've attached a zoomed-in section of Charguizard's excellent Hatsuyuki - class Destroyer so that you can see what I mean:
[ img ]

4. Fin stabilizer. The black linework around this is somewhat crude. I feel that you could reduce a few extra black pixels here.

5. Bilge keel. Same comment as above, I think the shape of this is somewhat crude and doesn't follow the natural shape of the hull. The top line where it meets the hull could use the darkest hull colour, as I mentioned in the area where the propeller shaft meets the hull, as it's not an exact 90-degree angle. Also, I have some doubts about the shading here and the way it extends in a vertical line to the bottom of the hull.

6. Bow sonar. The linework where the bow sonar joins the rest of the hull could be smoothed more. I don't think this shape is accurate in the way it's currently depicted.

7. Hull number. Again, somewhat crude and not accurate to the real-life ship. Have a look at some reference photos of the real-life Maya/Haguro, I do not think the numbers are shaped like this. Numbers are generally painted on with a stencil and not shaped in such an asymmetric way.

8. SPY-1 antennas. The shading/highlights on these are kind of inconsistent. If you copy and paste from another drawing, you should adjust the shading and highlights to the hull colour of your drawing. Have a look at acelanceloet's fantastic CGN-9 USS Long Beach AEGIS Conversion in the Never-Built Designs to see how these should look.

9. Bridge windows. Your drawing has three different colours for windows - one for the bridge windows, one for the watertight door that opens to the bridge wing, and another for the helicopter control station on the helideck. It would be advisable to pick a single colour for all your windows. Also, are you sure about the window shapes? I expect them to be more consistent. Sections of the bridge that are angled either fore or aft could use some additional shading to show that.

10. Railings here are a different shade than the rest of the drawing.

11. Hull overhangs here seem excessively shaded.

12. What does this shape represent? It's more rectangular on the real-life Maya - class than you have depicted it.

13. Same comment as number nine (9) regarding the window colouring.

A few last comments in no particular order:
- Your boot topping doesn't need a black line on either side of it. This is kind of an old way of drawing in Shipbucket that is no longer necessary.
- Are you sure about the shape of the Type 17 (SSM-2) missile? I doubt that the booster is as wide in diameter as you've depicted it.
- Some of your satcom domes have shading, some do not. Something to consider when refining your drawing.
- Shading on the underwater hull, in general, could be improved.
- Why the two hull colours between your Maya and Haguro drawings? It is natural that anti-fouling paint tends to fade and discolour leading to inconsistencies between vessels once in the water. I think it makes more sense to choose a single colour for both drawings.
- JS Haguro will receive her SPQ-B radar at some point in the future. If you're drawing her at a specific date when the radar is not yet installed, you should provide a date so that the viewer knows this. Something like "DDG-180 Haguro, as commissioned, 2021".

Once again, I will conclude by saying that you've done great work here, especially for a new artist. I don't want my minor critiques to discourage you, keep up the good work and I hope that you will feel inspired to revisit these drawings and put the final finishing touches on them that they deserve.

[Profile] [Quote]
Richelieu180
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 14th, 2022, 2:54 am
Thank you for your comments about my work. I really appreciate the mistakes that you had seen in my work. I will admit to myself that I'm not as good as other artists, but I will do my best to improve my skills.

As of now, the true aim of making this one is to test myself if I can make a simple design of it(not too realistic but just like on the Atago shipbucket design on wiki). I want to finish my work as that, as I want for others to follow what I had done so far and improve what is missing or mistakes on my part. I have designs in my worklist I would like to done, especially for my alternate design on Royal Vestrician Federation.

Again, I appreciate your comments as it will be helpful for me to improve myself in this kind of art. I'm a naval enthusiast for modern ship, and my imaginative power of creating my own design based on what will I theorized, predicted, or proposed will reflected on my work.

For now, I will show here my source material that I just copy/make reference:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 14th, 2022, 3:51 am
There is not always so easy to get good reference pictures of new ships, and good pictures is a go to over an drawing made for illustration of a ship, except blueprints.

But what is nice with Maya class, is that you can basically use, pictures and blueprints of previous classes as reference for the basic shape of the ship. For example US Arleigh Burke class, are build in different Flights. They are now probably on Flight 3 some are totally different then Flight 1 of the Arleigh Burke class.

Japan do the same, but instead of saying flight 1, 2, 3. They feel the changes is big enough to give each variant a different class name.

Kongō class (flight 1), Atago class (flight 2), Maya class (flight 3) they are each an modification of each other. So you can basically use the other classes as cross reference for how the hull looks like and other things. Just note that Atago class is longer then Kongō class, and Maya class is longer then Atago class. (161m, 165m, 169,9m)

so if you search on Atago and Kongō class you can find many reference for the hull and some of the structure shape, then you just need good pictures of Maya class and whats on deck, and match that up.

[Profile] [Quote]
Richelieu180
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 15th, 2022, 4:16 pm
This is the last time I edit this work(I'm not angry. Just tired).

[ img ]
[ img ]

I did my best to address the mistakes I had done during my first post. Although I want to make not too realistic but to simple to identify that "this is Maya" and "this is Haguro", it is not easy as that. As I said before, I'm not as good as any artists here but I want to show my potential and not just by "drawing in pencil" mode(even that mode screwed up).

I did more research and gathered all important materials that can be use to finalize this work. One did I reference of is some illustration for 1/700 model of this class. IIRC, Japanese tends to be accurate and quality-wise in terms of their products, and model kits are no exceptions to that. I downloaded some of it and that makes the simple changes on this work.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Maya Class DestroyersPosted: April 15th, 2022, 4:31 pm
the Sonar should have same color as the rest of the hull :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: