Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Nix-class Avisos (1851–1865)Posted: July 27th, 2022, 12:56 am
[ img ]

Hello everyone,

Today I bring you two older ships, the Nix-class avisos that were ordered as part of Prince Adalbert of Prussia's plan to build a stronger Royal Prussian Navy after the First Schleswig War. After experience with paddlewheel ships such as SMS Preußischer Adler, design requests were sent in to Prussian and British shipbuilders to design a new class of gunboats. As the British firm had more experience with warship building, they were chosen. The designing was completed in 1849, and construction began in 1850. The design of the ship was relatively unique, as it was nearly identical both fore and aft and had rudders on both the stern and bow. King Friedrich Wilhelm IV approved the names Nix and Salamander for the two ships, and they were put into service in 1851. They were armed with 4x Paixhans-guns, which have been referred to as "Bombenkanone" in sources.

From the beginning, the ships ran into issues. For example, Salamander was almost immediately placed into reserve in January of 1851 after being delivered only in December of 1850. She was only reactivated later that year to tow her sister, who had run aground in the Oder River. The ships were plagued with boiler fires and limited turning ability under sail. In 1855, the ships were sold to the Royal Navy in exchange for the 36-gun fifth-rate frigate HMS Thetis (afterward SMS Thetis. They became HMS Weser and Recruit, respectively.

Weser was then transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet, and in late 1855 caught fire off of Constantinople (Istanbul). She was then towed to join the Siege of Sevastopol, and then assisted with shore landings. Her last action would be at the Battle of Kinburn, after which she was then sent to Malta and finally decommission in 1865.

Recruit would also operate in the Crimean War, operating with a fleet of French and British ships in the Black Sea and Sea of Azov, where they captured or destroyed over 245 ships. She was then sent to Malta, and eventually sold in 1870. As of 1878, she operated as a powder magazine in Uruguay.

This was my first paddlewheel steamer, so I hope it turned out well!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Nix-class Avisos (1851–1865)Posted: July 28th, 2022, 12:24 am
That's beautiful work :)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Nix-class Avisos (1851–1865)Posted: July 28th, 2022, 7:49 pm
Nice drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]