Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 3:20 pm
Awesome work! I only have a few comments:
- I see a lot of new and updated parts on these that I would love to seeon the wiki, could we maybe cooperate on making that happen?
- The shading seems very strange on the sonar dome, with an very extreme looking highlight. Does the sonar dome really make a very extreme angle with the bottom of the hull like that?
- The red seems very bright while the underwater hull shading looks extremely dark. IMO it detracts from the excellent quality of the rest of the drawing, the way it pulls the attention away right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 24th, 2022, 10:29 am
Hi and thanks for the praise everyone!

Torpedoes are now where they belong, shape of the sonar dome revised (it is bigger than I originally thought) and reduced the brightness contrast for the underwater hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 24th, 2022, 10:40 am
And the next one:

Fleet Repair ship Jules Verne

[ img ]

Originally started as an ammunition transport named Acheron, this hull became France's only full-blown destroyer tender. She spent most of her service life at Djibouti and apparently was never significantly upgraded (apart from SATCOM visible from the 1990s).

Drawing was a little tricky; I thought the linedrawing in Breyer's was a good source, but comparision with photographs revealed most proportions to be off to some extent. Other linedrawings to lean on don't exist on the www, as far as I can say (which is not much).

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 24th, 2022, 10:48 am
Awesome drawing Garlic!

Whats next on the plannings?

[ img ]
I currently have this in my WIP list.
Do you know if any of your drawn systems are the same as on the clemencau?

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm
Splendid work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 27th, 2022, 6:05 pm
Mitchell van Os wrote: *
Awesome drawing Garlic!

Whats next on the plannings?

[ img ]
I currently have this in my WIP list.
Do you know if any of your drawn systems are the same as on the clemencau?

BTW: Looking at the frontview, your carrier looks very encouraging, even in this early stage!

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: September 27th, 2022, 9:39 pm
Fantastic Tourville, GD! Excellent drawing, as ever!

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: October 2nd, 2022, 4:11 pm
Hi all!

@ Mitchell

I'll post a collection of French parts after the next warship class, might take some time, it's nine hulls.

In the meantime:

Durance-class Fleet Replenishment Ships

Five modern multi-purpose replenishment oilers also carrying all kinds of dry stores. They replaced a collection of WW-II-era antiquities between 1976 and 1990. Like most French oilers, they were named for rivers. As completed, they carried two 40mm guns for self-defence.
[ img ]

Durance and Meuse, the first two of the class, are both no longer in service. Durance was sold to Argentina in 1999 without any significant modification. Meuse at some point received a basic Satcom/Satnav fit and something that looks like IR imaging gear fore and aft (although I'm not sure there). The twin cranes attached to the rear of the bridge superstructure were removed. The forward 40mm gun was landed, and two 12,7mm HMGs and a twin Simbad (Mistral) launcher were fitted, the latter on top of the bridge. She decommissioned in 2014.
[ img ]

Beginning with Var, the last three had reduced oil and stores capacity, but extensive flag and command facilities enabling them to function as flagships. They were easily recognizable by their longer forward superstructure and a big crane amidships; unlike the other two, they had military Satcom from the start. Initially, they had the same armament as Durance and Meuse.
[ img ]

As modernized, the Var Group received three Simbad launchers (although the forward one does not usually seem to be installed, according to photographs). They retained the forward gun mount only and received at least four 12,7,mm HMGs. Satcom was replaced with a newer set with very big radomes. Var has been retired recently, the other two (Marne and Somme) remain in service till all Jacques-Chevallier-class ships become available. From the photographs I viewed, they look identical.
[ img ]

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: October 2nd, 2022, 5:20 pm
Very nice love the Durance class

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Some French Cold War shipsPosted: October 3rd, 2022, 5:19 am
Yeah keep them coming!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: