Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Yqueleden
Post subject: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 4:26 pm
Spain. Naviera Ybarra. Steamer Cabo Machichaco (1882-1886-1893)

Built in Newcastle as Benisar, she was acquired by the Ibarra ship-ping company in 1886. Originally rigged as a schooner.

[ img ]

[ img ]

In 1893 caught fire in the harbor of Santander (Spain) and the dynamite carrying blew up, killing half a thousand people and devastating the city. A second explosion killed fifteen more, and the wreckage was blew up.

https://www.practicosdepuerto.es/es/col ... a%C3%B1ola

Only two photos of the ship are preserved, both just before the ex-plosion, lacking details. A blueprint, which is probably inaccurate, can be found on the web. A model is exhibited at the Cantabrian Museum in San-tander, but it does not match the preserved planes; may be of her half-siblings.

[ img ]

The best photograph is that of her twin Cabo Mayor (Cape Mayor), run aground… just off Cape Mayor, near Santander. The drawing tries to match this photograph.

[ img ]

Greetings

Last edited by Yqueleden on March 19th, 2023, 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 4:45 pm
France (Compagnie Générale Transatlantique) SS Mont Blanc (1899-1917)

[ img ]

The French steamer SS Mont Blanc, of the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique. In 1917 collided at Halifax (Canada) with the steamer SS Imo. It caught fire and blew up, killing nearly two thousand people.

Greetings

Last edited by Yqueleden on March 19th, 2023, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 6:08 pm
For all drawings above

That hull shading under and above water, and shading off superstructure is weird.

the hull shading doesn't even represent the hull shape at all. The hull isn't round as a pip. The stern shading is weird as well, the bow as well.

There could also be done some more detail work. Look at other similar ships for that

recommend to look at this and also look at ships other members have drawn.
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

Take a look in the archive of similar ships and see how they look:
http://shipbucket.com/

Here is an good example of shading, notice how the hull shading show the hull form:
http://shipbucket.com/drawings/3402/file

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 8:41 pm
In the case of Mont Blanc I don't know; I have not found pictures of the hull. Looks an old-fashioned design, similar to the Cabo Machichaco, with a very pronounced stern overhang.

The Cabo Machichaco was an iron-hulled ship of rather outdated design. The model in the Cantabrian Museum (can't link photos) shows that the hull was rounded, as in other ships of the period. The Cabo Machichaco, in fact, was designed to be able to sail.

It's easy to remove the shading; I'll do it if you think it's better. But it should be noted that the shapes of this ship didn't look like those of the 20th century.

[Profile] [Quote]
Yqueleden
Post subject: Re: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 8:51 pm
I already modify the drawings. I think that it reflects less the shape of the hull but, if you think it's better....

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Disaster shipsPosted: March 19th, 2023, 11:18 pm
Yes ships of that era have quite round shape, compared to today. But they aren't as round as you had shaded it. we shade at 45 degree or more, when we do hull shading.

- For underwater hull, we shade with only on color then two. it's only in extreme situation we do double shading on the underwater hull.

- The stern should have same color as rest of the hull, even when there is an overhang., we don't shad that extreme. The shading for how round the stern is, is still excessive dark.

- for over hang on the superstructure, you shade to much. we shade with 1px thick with a very dark shade color, and 2px with a lighter dark shade color under it, rest of everything under the overhang, should have same color as the superstructure. Superstructure color should be a little lighter in color tone then the hull, to differentiate between hull and superstructure.

The drawing bellow is how I would do it, the changes I did:
- adjusting deck height on the main deck, was a bit tall, it is still a bit tall but better then nothing. (can be lowered by 1 px)
- adjusting shading, on superstructure.
- adjusting shading on the hull. (this is how we represent these hulls on shipbucket, we try to draw these ships as how it would look like on a photo. If we have problem to get good information on the underwater-hull, then we do not draw the underwater-hull)
- added "fins" on the side of the hull (based on a drawing I found of this ship in war time configuration)
- lighten up shading of the stern.
- removed shading of the bow, even when the hull is round there, it shouldn't be any shading, du to in Shipbucket, we illustrate the light is coming from the front.
- Note. the coal-hatch on the hull side, could be colored in a very dark shading color, then using a black line around it, since the hatch is almost flush with the hull, and not sticking as much out of the hull.

(Things that I noticed with the drawing, is that it is almost impossible to modify the drawing with Microsoft Paint, I had to go in and do all colors manually! If the drawings are done in programs like Gimp/Photoshop/etc. make sure there isn't layers hiding behind the drawings. ot the file that is saved for posting on shipbucket is clean, since all shipbucket drawings in the archive, are supposed to be easy to modify on any paint/drawing software people are using)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: