Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 21st, 2023, 5:13 pm
Hello everyone,

Today I bring to you the Duca degli Abruzzi sisters, two light cruisers that were the final ships of the Condottieri-class. This project started when I was starting on a drawing of the Constanzo Ciano-class cruisers and noticed that the current pictures on the archive of the Abruzzis was very old. As such, I scoured far and wide to find some good sources on the two ships and set to work. Hopefully these drawings are worthy replacements of those made by Enrr!

I have drawn the two ships in the period between ~1937-1939, and then two wartime configurations with their special dazzle camouflages. I will be doing their post-war configurations in a week or two, as I cannot right now due to tests. In addition, due to looking at the Italian collection on the archive and seeing its age - I will be endeavouring on a task to slowly update as many as I can, should be pretty interesting.

As always, if I have missed any errors in the images, please let me know and I will fix them immediately.

Duca degli Abruzzi

[ img ]

[ img ]

Giuseppe Garibaldi

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 21st, 2023, 5:53 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 8:59 am
Good work.
Btw. speaking of updating the archive (including these Duca degli Abruzzi) - have You considered doing top/plan-views too? ;)
(I would like to try to encourage/inspire Shipbucketeers to include top-views more often, as much as possible. Obviously, it's something that's not always possible due to deficiencies of source material, but major warship classes usually can be done)

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 12:34 pm
very nice! agree with eswube 100% - a topview would be the crowning! BTW: general question: when an artist would take the topview of a ship whose sideview was drawn by another artist, how to handle this issue? In each case must the permission of the artist be granted?

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 3:30 pm
eswube wrote: *
Good work.
Btw. speaking of updating the archive (including these Duca degli Abruzzi) - have You considered doing top/plan-views too? ;)
(I would like to try to encourage/inspire Shipbucketeers to include top-views more often, as much as possible. Obviously, it's something that's not always possible due to deficiencies of source material, but major warship classes usually can be done)

Well, I would but I cannot guarantee anything since I do not always run into sources that have the top-down views. In addition, I am very much still a novice when it comes to those for larger ships such as these.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 22nd, 2023, 3:45 pm
@Bugsier_060

You mean, if permission is needed to add topview to sideview drawing done by someone else? Well, I'd say that by now so many Artists of "Shipbucket early (and even not-so-early) days" are no longer active, making the permission simply impossible to obtain, then it's a formality "nice to try", but hardly seriously "demanded".

Another thing would be a matter of crediting. Had a topview been added to otherwise unchanged (or almost unchanged) sideview, then topview would IMHO be need to be credited separately. But if the sideview was deeply, substantialy and visibly changed (updated - modified shading, new parts, better colors, added details etc.) to a degree warranting adding the name of artist which did the update to the sideview, then I'd give a common credit line for whole set (which is what I actually did to some of the submarines I drew in relation to Polish Navy Submarines thread).

@BvonTeapot
Yes, I understand the issue of sources. I'll try to look if I have something that might be useful (but Italian Navy isn't really a major interest of mine).
In any case, topviews are not a rocket science, and You clearly exhibit talent potentialy sufficient to handle them. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: April 23rd, 2023, 9:42 am
@eswube

Thank You! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Update to the AbruzzisPosted: June 21st, 2023, 9:42 pm
I have been informed just now that the ships were 8 pixels too long, and the turrets were drawn with curves towards the rear that did not exist. Here are the revised drawings, and apologies for the mistake.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: June 22nd, 2023, 4:53 am
Sorry, but I do believe that's the wrong flag. If those ships are from the "Kingdom of Italy", then should they not be flying the Kingdoms flag?

[Profile] [Quote]
BvonTeapot
Post subject: Re: Duca degli Abruzzi class, the Last of the CommandersPosted: June 22nd, 2023, 1:34 pm
adenandy wrote: *
Sorry, but I do believe that's the wrong flag. If those ships are from the "Kingdom of Italy", then should they not be flying the Kingdoms flag?
You are correct, it appears that the layer that had the different flag did not make it through when converting to PNG.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: