Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 10:41 am
The first of a few of the Type 42 class ships I have planned. This is HMS Glasgow as she appeared in 1982. Later on I will do the refitted ships with Phalanx and RHIBs etc and the lengthened Batch III ships.

[ img ]

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 10:51 am
will you be doing the early sheffield with her distinctive funnel

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 10:58 am
Another good day for the RN. :P This class looked so much better without the elephants ears exhausts of Sheffield on the funnel.Eagerly awaiting the batch 3.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 11:08 am
Great drawing!!! I've one little comment, the house aft the large radar is white?

[Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 11:30 am
pure gold

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm
Excellent :D This must be the definitive in all versions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here is HMS Glasgow just a decade later and sprouting some quite different gear...
When you look back at how cramped and how little growth room there was in the inital design its amazing that by the end of their lives these ships were totally different ships.
It seems from photos that different ships within batches had different refits, the Type 970 jammers are sometimes fitted forward under the 1022 and in other ships on the mainmast. Some gave up torpedo tubes for a RHIB and on some the chaff/ flares were moved. Others had four GAM B-01 rather than two. Dobutless I'll do more of these refits later on.

[ img ]

Edit: New hull numbers and removal of pesky white pixel errors!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 15th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Great work Hood, definatly the final word on these ships. Hoping to see HMS Sheffield and also the stretched Batch III type, and maybe even the Argentian duo (they had some unusual fit compared to the British ships)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 16th, 2011, 3:42 am
Sterling work, Hood! The only aber I can think of is to 'square' up the pennant letters and numbers and maybe thin them slightly. Right now they are a tad too rounded. Also, I'm happy you appear to have used 'my' commercial SatCom radar tetrapod from the Type22s. Makes commonality so much easier and believable. Maybe I'd offer it up as a part in the RN-sheet section? - Anyway, now we can start creating a task force here! Lemme suggest the HMS London as a flagship! :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: Type 42 Sheffield Class DestroyerPosted: May 16th, 2011, 7:02 am
thease are really nice Hood nice to see the evolution of 1 ship

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: