And the ranks of the merchant ships are growing...
In 1925 the Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) had absorbed the Roland Line, which originally was set up by the NDL. At that time a group of several fast cargo motor ships were built for Roland line and NDL. These ships were large four masted ships able to carry 12 passengers. In 1928 the Saale and Havel were completed still carrying the colors of Roland Linie AG, but by than a wholly owned subsidiary of the NDL.
Motor ship Havel
In 1938 both Havel and Saale were renamed the Saale being renamed Marburg, while Havel was now Coburg, which in 1941 scuttled in Indian Ocean to avoid capture by Royal Australian Navy.
Motor Ship Marburg ex-Saale
During WW2 the Marburg was assigned to transport the 2nd Panzer Division from Greece to Italy, as part of the German build-up for the upcoming invasion to the Soviet Union.
On May 21st, 1941, the British minelayer HMS ABDIEL laid a a field of 150 mines off Akra Dhoukatonthe, off Lefkas island
On the same day, the Italian destroyer Carlo Mirabello (1840 GRT), and Italian gunboat Pellegrino Matteucci (620 GRT) ran into the minefield and were lost.
on May 22st 1941 German transports Kybfels (7764 GRT) and Marburg (7564 GRT), carrying the 2nd Panzer Division, mostly tanks, also hit the minefield and were lost
Thank you Kim for the crest
"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"