Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Rodondo
Post subject: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 11:50 am
(Yes, another very small historical footnote from me :D )

The HMCS Spitfire was a ketch built in Sydney, for the New South Wales Government, to combat "Russian threats" in 1855, she served a long career in Australia until she was wrecked in a cyclone near Queensland at the end of 1899. She served the Queensland government after 1859 and her copper bottom was vital for her service in Australia's tropical north, she was built out of dense Australia woods, probably the reason why she survived so long. Spitfire marked the start for the colonial navies and ultimately, the modern RAN

She had a single 32pdr which was fired when the bulwarks were lowered.(There are only 2 drawings that show here in good detail, none show her with sail and in firing position)

Length-18.9m
Beam-4.9m
Draught-1.65m
Tonnage-65/60 tons
Crew-could carry 4 in a cabin aft and once sailed on a long expedition(over 1000km) with 14 men on board

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

Last edited by Rodondo on June 17th, 2011, 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 11:57 am
I'd like to see one of those 2 drawings with sails, if possible...... otherwise really nice!

I am only wondering why this ship has no standing rigging at the rear of the mast, are you sure you didn't forgot those? or did she have only rigging at the sides?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Rigging was all awry (even for me) She had very little rigging for the back mast, unless the woodcut I have has omitted some finer details. I'm working on the sails at the moments

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:02 pm
That's standard since it'll interfere with the booms.
Example

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:04 pm
about the same size as well!

Thanks for clearing that up!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:06 pm
Thiel wrote:
Example
yeah, but the mainmast has VERY little rigging aft. the picture you show has one line quite a bit aft, (1/3 of the boom) while on the spitfire this line is about 1/10 of the boom. seeing the 'pull' of the bowsprit sails (don't remember the english word for them now) this looks.... dangerous. but it is possible, I am just wondering.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:11 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Example
yeah, but the mainmast has VERY little rigging aft. the picture you show has one line quite a bit aft, (1/3 of the boom) while on the spitfire this line is about 1/10 of the boom. seeing the 'pull' of the bowsprit sails (don't remember the english word for them now) this looks.... dangerous. but it is possible, I am just wondering.
That's the back-stay, but it's not part of the standing rigging. Every time we tack we have to tighten it on the windward side and loosen it on the lee side.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Like a small sailing dingy? with a gun of course though!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Thiel wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Example
That's the back-stay, but it's not part of the standing rigging. Every time we tack we have to tighten it on the windward side and loosen it on the lee side.
yeah, I know, I just couldn't explain that in english :P but well.... that one is missing on his drawing, IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:19 pm
There is a drawing which suggests there is such said rig but the issue is it would prevent the bulwark from lowering

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: