Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 1:05 pm
The woodcut in the book I have depicts it as a stout plank/beam of wood(roughly 1.2 long), nothing else :?

Oh, possibly but ye of little faith for Australian building practices and timbers, especially Ironbark! :lol:

It says only "long" when the description comes up. :?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Very cute and, I must say, a most efficient design, Rodondo! Well done, matey from Down Under! But, yes, many colonial sloops (and gunboats!) did dispense with the more intricate sail rigging, and the reason they did this was to allow more non-skilled crew to handle them. Mind you, in the 1800s the Australian Station was still comparetively small, due to the fact that there was only one viable competitor in the area; France. (neither Germany, United States or, for that matter, Japan, at the time had any naval power of significance to challenge the British supremacy in the Pacific; only the French possessed that, and Russia, of course had no inclination to expand its sphere of influence that far south!). - This meant that the lesser colonial stations could do with less skilled manpower, hence the requirement for less complicated crafts! - This, however, was to change with the emergence of Imperial Germany and Imperial Japan as serious competitors for power in the South Pacific; hence the founding of the Royal Australian Navy in 1911 and the allocation of one BC (HMAS Australia) there.

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 4:29 pm
Shouldn't this be titled HMAS Spitfire? Isn't HMCS - His (Her)
Majesty's Canadian Ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 5:15 pm
signal wrote:
Shouldn't this be titled HMAS Spitfire? Isn't HMCS - His (Her)
Majesty's Canadian Ship?
Yeas that is true, but I think it's could mean Colonial. A great drawing indeed!

[Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 16th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Yes, in this case it'd denote Colonial, since there weren't either any independent Canadian or Australian navies yet!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 17th, 2011, 10:53 am
Yes, New South Wales (unlike Victoria and Queensland) had the Prefix His/Her Majesty's Colonial Ship

Should have the sailing versions up tonightish

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 17th, 2011, 12:48 pm
Here we go, not flying the jib as I have no idea what to do with that block of wood! :lol:

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 17th, 2011, 12:51 pm
when you upload, maybe best to upload one with sail and bulwark open, and one without sail and bulwark closed or something... otherwise nice, I am only missing the backstay :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 17th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Well, I'll put these on the first post as well, the others do not have spread sails. Not sure that there is a back stay though, see no indication of it.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMCS Spitfire, Australia's first Homemande WarshipPosted: June 17th, 2011, 1:06 pm
I see one on the drawing you posted, so....
(http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an2293229-v , just in front of where those 2 men stand)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: