Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitedPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 3:16 pm
In days like these, when the new talents pop up like mushrooms and they start "shaking" the bucket, I tend to aplaud them in public but inside my vaults I get these paranoid feelings "what if they are going to try with my kashins next" :? :shock:
And also, Naturally I have also the duty to make the working class's answers to these agressive provocations by the imperialistic fleets showing their newly painted destroyers too close to the motherland and interpting the Soviet people's desire to live in peace and harmony ;)

So This is only the seccond time I've repainted the grand old drawings from the Shipbucket's mythical past: (this time finaly fixing the last gif. errors of grey pixels in place of black, reminding me of those days when Mconrad's photoshop was such a heavy filter for most of us n00bs back then)

[ img ]
[ img ]

Later i try to add on the Indian export version and Provornyi to the lot (once I've made them)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 3:54 pm
Very impressive, but what about the props? Aren't they a tad too, ehem, clumsy-looking compared to the rest of those excellent drawing? BTW, this is the closest equivalent the Soviets had to the Dutch Tromps and the Italian Audaces, but the latter ones enjoyed a far superior seakeeping capability and overall better weapons' layout.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:05 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Very impressive, but what about the props? Aren't they a tad too, ehem, clumsy-looking compared to the rest of those excellent drawing?

Agreed!

[Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
The props are how they are supposed to be In shipbucket style ;)

Anyways, here comes Ranjit of the Indian ones.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Very very nice: classic and beautiful.
I've got a couple of quibbles though :ugeek:
There's an extra "y" in the "Komsomolets Ukrainy" title. Also the ship's name on the stern seems to be misspelled.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:34 pm
of the two "H" lookin characters another is actually cyrilic "I". (three pixel height really has to focus on the impression ;) ) Of the transliteration, I usually follow finnish transliteration which uses Y as a wovel thus the "bI" comes as douple Y according to how I've learned the spelling.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:49 pm
Well, there's a simple test for that: google "Komsomolets Ukrainy", get over 1000 results; google "Komsomolets Ukrainyy" - get 9 results. And also there's Wiki, which of course is not a very trustworthy source but usually is better than no source ;)
As for the misspelled name, I meant something else: right now it reads "komsolets" instead of "Komsomolets"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:56 pm
These are seminal warships, and excellent to see Gollevainen bringing his own work up to an even higher excellence. They were the first all gas turbine warships, and gave a double-ended anti air capability. I'm not so sure that they were direct equivalent to the Tromp and Audace, as they were more specific in one role.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 4:56 pm
Well, maybe so, but they look like shovels, not like prop. blades... ;) 8-) :D :lol: I shall change it on my copies!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: "Singing frigates" the Pr. 61 Repaint/Retouched -RevisitPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:24 pm
Quote:
I'm not so sure that they were direct equivalent to the Tromp and Audace, as they were more specific in one role.
well its usually mistake to compare Soviet and NATO warships since the end of traditional cruisers/destroyers in the turn of 50s to 60s. Pr.61 was sort of transistory warship in that regard, as it was still clearly related to the pr.56 and pr.57 classes with the hullform, they were never classified as destroyers, but first as SKRs (guard ships or frigates in western sense) and later as large ASW ships (BPKs), thougth they lacked in capacity to the later larger 1134 class BPKs which in terms came from rocket cruiser lineage. Curiosly the much later 1135 class also started as SKRs but due the Metel ASW missile system brought them also classified as BPKs but they atleast were later reclassified as SKRs again. Pr.61 never saw reclassificiations as far I know, thougth the pr.61M modification with the Termit SSM ditched them back to the more General Purpose role

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: