Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 4th, 2010, 5:45 pm
TurretHead wrote:
Bombhead wrote:
Don,t laugh at the new turrets.I have just drawn one of Mrs Bombhead's saucepans.Looking at the scan of the turret arrangement close up you see there is not a lot you can do to make them more detailed,any ideas?
That is a fantastic photo of the Eagle, and look at that air wing!

As to how to draw the turret there are lots of good images here:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_45-45_mk1.htm

And links to the Vickers photo archive with images of the workings of the actual mounting.

[ img ]

One thing about these turrets is the exterior of the house is very simple so there really isn't much to draw unless they are pointing straight at you.
Why does it remind me of the SkyGuard AAA?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 4th, 2010, 8:35 pm
Bombhead
Top picture of HMS Eagle, BTW as first commissioned (around 1951-1952) with Attackers and Sea-Hornets.
BTW the ship behind HMS Eagle is HMS Ariadne one of the fast mine-layeres of WW2 fame.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm
I thought it looked familiar I had the Airfix model of Manxman as a child.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 6th, 2010, 7:58 pm
Are these guns OK? if so I will refit them on to Ark Royal.They still look like saucepans :lol:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 6th, 2010, 9:55 pm
Sad picture, that one, seeing HMS Eagle partly stripped and the reason just behind her, the 'darling of the British public' HMS Ark Royal. I believe the photo is from 1978.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 6th, 2010, 10:15 pm
I would say so Novice.Tamar estuary.If you knew when to look you could see Eagle from the bridge.I was lucky my Grand parents lived in Cornwall so I used to get to go to Navy days at Devonport during the 60's and 70's

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 6th, 2010, 10:27 pm
BTW just behind the Ark Royal you can see a paddle-wheel tug, built specially to work with aircraft carriers. They were diesel-engined with low superstructure, so that they could close on the carrier without damage from the overhangs. I believe they were known as the Alert class, but anyway the last one was Favourite A 87.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 6th, 2010, 11:49 pm
Sorry to nitpick this so much but I would say no to those latest guns. There position is correct but not their appearance. There appears to have been two types of gun house for the turret. The initial one with the angled corner and the later one with a right angle corner. The initial turret shape was on the early carriers and battleships fitted with this gun. The square edge turret was on the HMS Eagle and Ark Royal. Also the barrel length looks short. I haven’t measured the barrel length in ship bucket scale but it just looks a bit short. They may not actually fit in facing forward and rear as in ship bucket style because they were usually pointing to either side.

I must say I love your 40mm gun turret!

Edit:
[ img ]

I've drawn a draft of the carrier turrets with the proper flat tops and the proper length barrel. As you can see the rear turret can't be fully trained to the rear because the gun barrel is too long for the space provided. Perhaps we shall have to ask for guidance from the moderators how to draw this in. Pointing straight out to the side would be one easy fix.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 5:38 am
TurretHead
Nicely done. In point of fact I dhare your view regarding the barrel length, as well as the turrets shape, and hope that Bombhead would adopt your very good represetation, as posted above.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: HMS Eagle 1971Posted: September 7th, 2010, 6:13 am
Novice wrote:
Nicely done. In point of fact I share your view regarding the barrel length, as well as the turrets shape, and hope that Bombhead would adopt your very good represetation, as posted above.
One solution is to draw the turrets angled to both the rear and the side. Which shows off that they are twin barrel turrets as well as fitting in the alloted space.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: