Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 8:56 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
HAs shown she was almost certainly the last River class in service anywhere in the world.
I believe that Dominican Navy had one River (ex HMCS Carlplace) in service as a presidential yacht and patrol ship until the early 1990s. At least my copy of "Weyers Flotten Taschenbuch 1990-1991" and "The World's Navies" by David Miller says so.

The drawing itself is, of course, great. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 9:01 am
Interesting, though the fact that the said ship was listed does not mean it was seaworthy. IIRC much of the Dominican navy's fleet was rusting away by then.

Thanks for spotting the stray pixels; I forgot to do my (now customary) practice of using purple to colour the template, it then shows up any stary pixels. This will be fixed before the final version is submitted.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 9:11 am
Good point about rusting fleet. On the other hand, at least theoretically during the 1980s that ship could have ventured into the sea once or twice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 9:25 am
It might make a good project - the presidential yacht :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 5:10 pm
Here's the scan from the Weyers, if You're interested: :)

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... e/skan.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Bombhead wrote:
...BTW what's the radar on the top of the mast Bill ?
American made SA or SC air search radar IIRC.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 5:15 pm
The scan from "Weyers Flotten Taschenbuch 1990-1991" is very good, though the drawings are not entirely accurate. Also note the guns bore are in cm and not mm as customary in the English speaking world.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 5:25 pm
Indeed, the drawing wasn't too accurate, but what could I do? I just scanned it. ;)
I believe that there is bit better photo of this ship in Jane's Fighting Ships 1981-1982, but I'm afraid I can't help with getting it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 28th, 2011, 10:50 pm
Novice wrote:
Bombhead wrote:
...BTW what's the radar on the top of the mast Bill ?
American made SA or SC air search radar IIRC.
Thanks novice,I think I need that one for HMS Queen.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Defending Trade: Sloops to Frigates.Posted: November 29th, 2011, 7:57 am
Oops, sorry BH, I meant to answer, but Novice has done it for me. BTW, I'm wondering if I could use a grey for the radar sections, rather than black, as it might make it look less heavy?

And thanks eswube for the scan. I recall that they also had some (equally) ancient Flower class corvettes leaning against the dock.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 9  [ 88 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »

Jump to: