Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 4:03 pm
This will be my first posting since my break. Due to all that happened in my personal life, I got time to fidget around with both my drawings, for instance the CAlifornias (which I think have been perfected now) and others, picking up new projects just to be able to cope with the RL-problems. One such project which I've actually tampered with a long time ago but then let go, is the RCN:s Halifax-class patrol frigates. The original as drawn by MihoShik and MConrads is basically a very decent one, with the exception of a completely wrong underwater hull and some spurious details there. It lacks the later-day SB sophistication and close attention to details, and since there were other issues with it, I decided to correct them. Miho, I hope you shall find my editing and corrections both agreeable and to your satisfaction!

So, without undue delay, let me present the H.M.C.S. Ville de Québec as of present day. I have chosen to show her with both types of helicopters currently in use in the RCN.

[ img ]

Since Kim already had made ready the badge for the Montréal, I decided to make her too. However, I was quite undecided in what guise, till I read a news story reminding me about the Ducal couple of Cambridge's visit to Canada. So, here, utilizing Kim's outstanding badge, is the H.M.C.S. Montréal as of July 3rd, 2011, when she hosted the young, newly-weds, making their trip from the city of Montréal to the Québecois capital, Ville de Québec. I have assumed artistic licence in showing the CH-148 Cyclone hovering low over the ship's fantail, carrying the Duke of Cambridge (who is a trained SAR-pilot), instead of parked on deck as convention should have it. I hope you'll forgive this token of individualism!
The ship has hoisted the Duke's personal flag when visiting Canada.

[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on December 6th, 2011, 6:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 4:15 pm
Nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 4:16 pm
Welcome back Bezo, and this looks great :D

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 4:33 pm
as I said in the other thread, welcome back! I have to make some comments though.

first of all, the halifax class doesn't use the STIR 240 but the 180. also, I believe you have the mod 2 of the 57 mm, while the halifax used mod 3 IIRC. the TACAN on the mast is not really representing the real thing, there is an better one on my spruances. I would think that the harpoons would be directly in front of each others, but I have no evidence that they are, so you might be right on that. the overhang with the antenna's on it just in front of the funnel should be a bit sloped down and misses shading currently. I don't think the helideck railing represents the real one very well. the intakes behind the RHIB should be partially behind the VLS, if I see it correctly. the SATCOM just below the mainmast is an standard USN part.

I personally think you should fix some grey lines and black lines, the bends in the structure are black while for example the UNREP mast is grey!
the fore-aft shading seems to have some flaws as well. the part just behind the phalanx should be lighter, the aft of the hangar darker.

and an small case of personal preference: I would love to see 2 edits made, if possible:
- a bit more detailed torpedo tubes. the current ones represent them good enough, but the drawing on the dutch M frigates shows that much more is possible!
- something to be shown of the interesting funnel of this class, where you can see the piping running through the 'raster'.

other then this I have only comment that I hate those canadians for hiding the mk 48 launchers so you can't use my drawing of them :P

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 5:22 pm
Thanks, Bill, and Heuhen! Very much appreciate your compliments. Ace, i will look into some of your comments. You're, for instance right about the slanted antenna platform on the funnel. That i should be able to fix, though...and her's where it it's tricky...it's a collapible one, i e it actually folds!As for the STIRs you're dead wrong! They use the 240, or AN/SPG-503, the same as on the Tribals. The UNREP is actually covered....that's my artistic choice, since I've noticed that feature on a majority of the photos. And, my dear friend, I think I'm the one to decide how to shade , since I've studied the ships quite in detail. Yes, there may be imperfections - who hasn't experienced that first time posting a drawing? but, overall, the shading is as is. As for the other details, yes, I will look into them. And, no, the Harpoons are actually a little offset, so that the innermost tubes actually in a sort overlap eachother. Why? I don't know...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 5:35 pm
give me your source for the STIR's. all sources I have say 1.8, or AN/SPG-503, the pictures prove me right... the tribals use the AN/SPG-501 or STIR 240. that makes more sense as well, as the 180 is build for NSSM guidance (and with software updates, now ESSM) while the 240 is build for guidance of the SM-1 and on the tribal and ROK ships SM-2.

for the shading: on pics it appears like you have drawn it. but aren't you shading with the light coming from the bow, as we tend to do in shipbucket? if you are not, you are right, you can do as you want, but if you do, you have represented those areas incorrect.

on the grey lines on antenna's, the unrep and the intakes, I thought most of those should be drawn in black, as per sb standard, even if covered. mods should prove me right or wrong on that. I would say it would look better if you changed some of the black lines to grey ones, though, for example the ones on the bridge and the aft of the hangar. as those are no 90 degrees turns, it should be allowed and would make the ship look better, IMO.

ow and I just saw one minor point as well: double black pixel line below the phalanx ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:04 pm
Ok, ace, you're right, it's the STIR 1.8 or 180...but, it's then your fault, since I actually used your update parts sheet, where it clearly states AN/SPG-503 (STIR 240)! Check it yourself! As for the phalanx, I can actually lift it up some to avoid that...as for the UNREP, methinks it looks much better this way, representing the real deal...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:09 pm
indeed, that is my mistake then indeed..... no idea why that is wrong. anyway, please use the newest dutch parts sheet instead of the RNLN parts sheets in the future, the dutch is much more accurate and is updated more often. the phalanx, I actually think you should move it 1 pixel down then it is fixed :P.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:12 pm
ace, remember the sheets you've mailed me when we worked on the Tromps? Those are the ones I've been using! Are you now saying there's one more, additional parts sheet somewhere???

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Halifax-Class UpdatePosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
Oh, and the gun is, in fact the Mk2...I've checked, or rather rechecked my sources...so it stays...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: