Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 9:45 pm
Since the community received my update of the German Lütjens-class DDGs so positively, and quite a few seemed to be very delighted with the amount of detail that I tried to add to an already excellent base drawing, I hope my next small project will met the same kind of approval.

If I began in the Northern Hemisphere, in Germany, we now turn all the way, across the Equator, down to the Antipodes, that is the Australasian continent. About the same time that the Bundesmarine received its three Charles F. Adams' class guided missile destroyers, the Aussies also got their triplets, the Perth (DDG-38), Hobart (DDG-39) and Brisbane (DDG-41). These were more closely aligned with the USN:s existing CFAs, except that they shipped the domestically developed and produced Ikara A/S rocket amidships. The bulkiness of this complex weapons system required erection of an additional deckhouse between the funnels, giving the Sheilas a very distinctive look, clearly separating them from their US or German cousins. However, by the late 1980s it had become apparent that the Ikara was obsolete, so, by 1991 all three ships had them removed. One curious oddity of the three sisters was that they shared the Phalanx system. In fact, the Australian Government could afford to purchase only one complete system for the ships, so it was sisterly shared - Brisbane, being the last in commission, also being the last to ship it!

Here's my pretty 'Sheila' the H.M.A.S. Brisbane or 'Fighting Forty-One' or the 'Steel Cat' as she appeared during her last few years' of commissioning, before being scuttled, in 2005 off the coast of Queensland as an artificial reef.
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on December 12th, 2011, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Thats a top quality drawing! I've never liked this class because of the swept back stacks but 'm looking at them in a new light now :)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Details, details, details. Bang my head explodes.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 10:03 pm
heuhen, here - some 325 Aspirin with two 7.5/650 Vicodin! Should prevent you from exploding; should prevent you from prety much anything else... 8-) ;) :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Are you sure that the Ikara director was not also removed?

Otherwise excellent work as usual.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 10:46 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
heuhen, here - some 325 Aspirin with two 7.5/650 Vicodin! Should prevent you from exploding; should prevent you from prety much anything else... 8-) ;) :lol:
thx! :lol:

ohhh blurry!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Erik, they did remove it, but replaced it - under the g/f dome with a SatNav system.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 11th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Huh. Well, I suppose there's no reason to throw away a good dome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 12th, 2011, 12:07 am
Exactly, eric, it did stump me too, initially, till I found out what was hidden beneath that little coupola of theirs...and, as it may, it probably was a fairly cheap conversion...

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The CFA:s of Down Under - Australias Perth-ClassPosted: December 12th, 2011, 12:18 am
Will you do her as she looked when new?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: