Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:25 am
I've had this one for a long time stewing and brewing on my virtual desk. I finally decided that it needs to be posted. It is a thorough update and, one might perhaps say, renovation of MConrads drawing of the Belgian Navy's first true surface combatants worthy of the name. the handsomely sleek and lithe Wielingen-class. Four vessels were built: Wielingen herself (F910); Westdiep (911), Wandelaar (F912) and the unlucky Westhinder (F913). They were all named after major Belgian watery arteries, featured a well-balanced armament with a very dry and stable hull.
Of the four sisters, only three remain in service today. The hapless Westhinder was damaged in an excercise, in 1993, and struck off the navy list, after having been decommissioned, as a fiscal cost reduction.

The others were sold to Bulgaria between 2004-8; the last ship sold was the depicted Westdiep, now renamed Gordi.

So, without further ado; here's the revised E-71 class. Note that the MM38 Exocet canisters are wholly new; so is the 375 mm ASW rocket launcher forward. I also have added an underwater hull. The Gordi will follow soon.
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on February 17th, 2012, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:36 am
Interesting ship. Never heard of them until Bezo's incredible drawing comes out!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 9:30 am
what has happened to the main radar :?:
othwise nice reworking as usuall

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 10:49 am
that DA-05..... let me run an checkup on that. what you have now is wrong, but it is different then the DA-05 on my sheet...... expect word from me soon on that.
also, the WM 'egg' has just had an update of the foot and the shading, will send it to you as soon as possible (made it for the new perry)
and... is that mk 29 the wrong way around? :O

other then that very nice work, but I didn't expect less, of course ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 10:53 am
I think Golly is more concerned that the DA-05 is light grey rather than black in outline.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 11:00 am
I understand that, but what he has now, even in black, looks an awful lot like an DA-08 radar instead of the DA-05 he should have.... problem is the pics also show something like that. I will go check that out when I have some time tonight or this afternoon.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 12:03 pm
ok, have done some research: the DA-05 on the wielingen is an upgraded one and will be drawn as soon as possible for you, bezo. there apear to have been 3 versions, the one now on the sheet is the first, the third is on this ship. some sources say that the ship was first fitted with one as on the sheet (1st version) so an as build version might use that one, if you want.

also: http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz22 ... thfoot.png

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 3:30 pm
First, thank you a lot fir your kind and, as always, generous comments. Golly: I did try to convey the fact that the radar array is painted in hull color. I might be able to make it more sublime once ace has provided me with a corrected version of the DA-05.
ace: thank you for your offer to help. I'm looking forward to receiving the items in question and then I shall update it accordingly. As always I value your informed input highly. As for the radars you're right about the progressive development; that's how the Belgians managed to keep these splendid ships in the frontline for 30 years!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Great drawing Bezo :) And yes, the radar :? It looks 'ghosted'; and aren't we getting a bit too :ugeek: here? This is Shipbuket lad ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: E-71 Class FrigatesPosted: February 11th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Radars as any other objects needs to have Black outline, thats the whole point of the style.... what you do inside those black boundaries is more up to artistical taste, but there has never been any reason of drop the black outlines.... ...and in this case, the pic doesen't now look like the radar is painted on the hull color, but it looks like there isen't any radar fitted, but the artist has decided to leave "fitted-but-not-with" shaddow in its place ;)

if the excuse is that "they are so hard to drawn", then here is an example, angara-M (a new version of it, to be "published" offically in near future)
painted in the hull color:
[ img ]

If soviets can do it, Im sure the omnipotent westeners can do it as well :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: