Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 713 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: October 24th, 2010, 2:48 pm
THX. Didn't know that. :oops:

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: October 30th, 2010, 10:45 pm
Regards the use of the British radar on the vessel, were you perhaps thinking of this:

(From Wikipedia)

"The contract for initial production of the S1850M was signed in 2001; 2 for the UK, 1 for France and 1 for Italy, with a common prototype based in Toulon. In 2005 a follow-on contract was signed for 5 more for the UK, 1 more for France and 1 more for Italy. Even a stronger version of the S1850M is under testing, which is actually an updated version of the current SMART-L radar, which the Dutch Navy will call the Smart-L mk2 Radar, with even a greater search radius, but this version is still under testing. It would have a tracking range of over 800km over sea and 400km into space."

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 3rd, 2010, 6:15 pm
mitch, is this ship finished already? I want to know when I can use it as the base for an ship for wingedheroes ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 7th, 2010, 2:12 pm
Latest version is on first page.
I only need the badges from F802-F803-F804 and then they are complete.
*Thanks to bezobrazov for Evertsen badge and some error finds*

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 8th, 2010, 4:27 am
Thank you Good Sir for your acknowledgment! Anytime at your service! :) ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 8th, 2010, 4:33 am
Oh, I found the ships. *LOL* I missed that they were posted on the first page! Anyway, Mitch. only one thing, and this only I'd look into: the appropriate length of the respective badges that each vessel displays on their forward superstructure. Accordingly the Zeven Provincien's should be quite long, whereas Tromp's is surely the shortest! Other than that: SPLENDID JOB GUV! :D :lol: ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 8th, 2010, 5:37 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Oh, I found the ships. *LOL* I missed that they were posted on the first page! Anyway, Mitch. only one thing, and this only I'd look into: the appropriate length of the respective badges that each vessel displays on their forward superstructure. Accordingly the Zeven Provincien's should be quite long, whereas Tromp's is surely the shortest! Other than that: SPLENDID JOB GUV! :D :lol: ;)
I know :-P
I realised it after i posted them...
Its fixed but takes to much effort to upload for suh a small thing.

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 8th, 2010, 12:08 pm
*LOL* Now THAT I can sympathize with! Ok, will save the images and do it myself! I certainly don't mind. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 9th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Allright, here goes…

Let’s make something clear. I wasn’t overwhelmed when I saw that Mitch was starting all over again with the LCF. The original one was a perfectly good starting point as far as I’m concerned. Mitch claimed he could do a whole lot better, especially as he looked at the ship every day. I disagreed.
WORDS were exchanged, and we both went our separate ways with the drawing.

I was wrong about the size of the S1850M. What emerged was a more accurate drawing of that radar that both Mitch and I now use. I guess the RN Darings will have to be updated too.
The shape of the lower hull was something I originally had little too do with. It’s Vossiej’s doing. It was updated (including those wonderful props from Mitch’s drawing) but it’s a tossup as to which one of us two has the shape better: the only reference is a 3D drawing which has it’s own problems.
Some differences in drawings are down to artistic interpretations: The lamps attached to the superstructure, for example. I think the more angular approach I took with them works better. The way portholes are shaded, and their exact size. Mitch did an excellent job on including some of the joints of the superstructure: I included those in my drawing. Please note that it’s impossible to do them all. They’re not really on shipbucket scale any more. Mitch included a ladder on the face of the cannon: I left it out. It’s so close to the surface that to be faithful to the original you have to layer it on top of the outer lining, and I think that’s ugly, even though it’s correct.
The APAR faces are up too the individual artist. It should be noted however, that the bulb protrudes, and requires some shading.
Likewise there might be some coloring differences. All of that is up to the individual artist.

I’ll be honest and admit that I completely reworked the midships crane in my latest drawing. If you’re going to go for a rework, might as well go all-out.

Having said all of this, upon Mitch’s revelation of his “ultimate” LCF drawings, I’m rather disappointed. There are not only some VERY easily avoidable mistakes in the overall shape of the ship, plus some detail errors, there are also some Shipbucket Rules violations.

Before I start my critique, I do want to note that I fully expect Mitch to comment on MY drawing as well: ultimately this will lead to a much better overall effort.

First off, some excellent links to good views of the LCF.

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/8332

http://marineschepen.nl/marschepen/zeprov.html

http://de.academic.ru/dic.nsf/dewiki/308793

Now, for a list of problems with Mitchell’s LCF, and a numbered drawing. Please do note that below this is my own LCF. Some elements are Mitchell’s, some Vossiej’s, and the overall ship is definatively my base.
These are simply taken bow to stern.

Now, my numbered critique of Mitch's drawing:

[ img ]

1: That solid railing is a lot more slanted. It does not end in a vertical line.
2: The platform for the ECM has a outwards slanted forward lip, not a vertical one. The eye on the railing is actually extended outwards. I’ve tried to depict that with shading in my drawing.
The lip above the windows is the wrong shading. It’s not overhanging, it should not be dark.
3: Problems with shading in the tower. There is no overhanging piece in the circled part. This is a leftover from my original drawing; I got it wrong all the time, and only now it’s been corrected.
The stand for the Mirador does not have that shape. It is made up of simple slabs. Mirador has a symmetrical housing.
The Satcom support has the wrong shape. Also, there is no sprinkler rail there, and the overall shape of the tower is incorrect in that area. The indentations in the corners of the tower are not colored black. They have a grey color, like the rest of the hull.
4: The Harpoon canisters do not protrude above the superstructure. The exhaust is incorrect: It’s the aft part of a blast deflector normally seen on Harpoon deck mounts.
The walkthough underneath the Harpoon installation is too low.
5: The antenna extends much further aft.
6: Shading error on the radar support: there are no overhanging parts there.
All those fiddly bits on the railing aren’t actually there in photographs.
The aft set of grills has the wrong shape. It looks that way on the OTHER side of the ship.
7: The shape of the fire hoses is wrong. They extend from the superstructure as simple tubes. That fiddly bit above them might not actually exist. Difficult to make out.
8: The hole above the waterline does not extend all the way to the aft of the ship.
9: Those might be portholes, but they’re too big, and the wrong color. The inner appears to be so dark as to be black.
10: The sudden change in angle between the drive shaft and the casing into the hull is jarring. There’s an angle there that you simply can’t have.
The shading in the drive shafts is wrong: Dark should be at the bottom.

My own drawing:

[ img ]

Let's hear it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 10th, 2010, 12:30 am
The railing on the bow is not right. :/

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 713 »

Jump to: