Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 13 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
another problem found! mitch noticed an error in the cannon... the size was wrong. when I sended him some reference material for it (with correct sizes) he noted it was too low!

when I looked at other oto guns, I found out the oto 76 stealth was scaled wrong as well, and in the meantime mitch modified miho's cannon, and drew an front view.
Attachment:
voor ace.png
he also asked if I wanted to post the front view of his lcf :D and if it is ok for the standard.
I will redraw the oto 76 stealth as well, and will do more views of it as well ( I can do that with the 3d model I made of it)
Got some work done too. Just a little.

Look at this one, it's almost perfectly photographed for a side view. There's only some distortion near the aft end, the "center" of the photo is near the APAR tower: we're looking straight at it.:
[ img ]

I rotated that picture around, scaled it, corrected a slight angle so that it was perfectly level, and pasted a LCF drawing over it.
In doing so I found that... My APAR and APARtower are actually perfect :D
My SMART-L and it's mount? Not quite perfect. I lowered the size of the SMART-L facing by two pixels, and it's ALMOST correct now. I don't think it's worht any more hassle. The mount had to be lowered too.
The flight deck and hangar had to be lowered by three pixels. More than a foot of difference.
The entire superstructure had to be moved eight pixels back. Oops. That caused a complete redraw of the railings on the flight deck, since that's where the eight pixels had to come out of. The flight deck was too long.
There were some size problems with both the funnel housing (the aft part of the forward superstructure, where the funnels and Harpoon are located) and the hangar.
The cannon had to be moved forward. And was too low :D Mitch saved me another redraw on that one, it was just copy/paste in the new location. Mitch's barrel is too long though, the old one was good.
Several of the portholes had to be moved around by several feet.
Minor details like the lights on the forward superstructure being a bit too low.

Mostly corrected LCF (before moving some of the minor stuff around) pasted over the picture at 50% transparancy:

[ img ]

Completely corrected LCF:

[ img ]

Edit: And now I'm G*ddamn tired.

Last edited by MihoshiK on November 13th, 2010, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 7:54 pm
miho, apar is too big. I will add mine to the sheet, you can make comments on it or not, that's your choice.

but the LCF looks great now apart from that..... you have used the new cannon, right?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 8:47 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
miho, apar is too big. I will add mine to the sheet, you can make comments on it or not, that's your choice.

but the LCF looks great now apart from that..... you have used the new cannon, right?
I've spend three hours with that picture, changing transparencies, looking details over, checking the size of the APAR and the tower.

Apart from the fact that I've left the APAR facing one pixel too high (that line underneath the bulb), which I did for visual impact and to show that the APAR face is actually rectangular, that whole tower is perfectly in scale.
Even the width of the APAR facings is perfect.

Here:

[ img ]

Mitch's APAR tower should be four pixels wider, three pixels higher, the face where the APAR emitter sits is two pixels off in width, and three in height. It's APAR bulb is too small in diameter, and the whole APAR facing is two pixels lacking in every dimension.

Here. A perfect APAR tower, with shading, and the illusion that the emitter is leaning back slightly, with added bonus that it actually depicts a rectangular Emitter face, just like in real life. In order to completely stop this I've made the base two pixels less wide, and used that on my LCf. Even looks better.
[ img ]

Edit: YES, I used Mitch's gun. I noted the difference in height when I overlaid the drawing over the photo, but his work saved me from a redraw.

Edit: removed ranting.

Last edited by MihoshiK on November 14th, 2010, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 8:57 pm
miho, the size came frome mitch, he is very sure now, ask him if you want to know how he knows as I can't say that on the internet. sorry miho, I don't want to fight this out, but I am really sure about that. if mitch says something else again, then I will take back my words, and your apar looks great, but for the information I have it is slightly out of scale. sorry.

you know....... I really don't want to fight this. ask mitch, and he will tell you why it is wrong.... I will add yours to the parts sheet. I have more to do, such as 50 non drawn planes and so on, I really don't want to fight about this anymore.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
miho, the size came frome mitch, he is very sure now, ask him if you want to know how he knows as I can't say that on the internet. sorry miho, I don't want to fight this out, but I am really sure about that. if mitch says something else again, then I will take back my words, and your apar looks great, but for the information I have it is slightly out of scale. sorry.

you know....... I really don't want to fight this. ask mitch, and he will tell you why it is wrong.... I will add yours to the parts sheet. I have more to do, such as 50 non drawn planes and so on, I really don't want to fight about this anymore.
Allright, so it's not you... But damnit, the proof is in the pudding: I've just given a visual presentation of the size of the thing. If that tower is the wrong size, than the entire ship is horribly wrong. As in "Should be a dozen meters shorter and comparitively lower".

And it just isn't.

And if Mitch can't divulge his sources in public, them maybe he shouldn't toot his horn about em.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 13th, 2010, 11:25 pm
Alright, for Christ's sake no more of this. Pick a goddamn version and stick with it. NO ONE ELSE CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Seriously, if this keeps up, I'm banning ALL OF YOU.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 14th, 2010, 12:33 am
Colosseum wrote:
Alright, for Christ's sake no more of this. Pick a goddamn version and stick with it. NO ONE ELSE CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Seriously, if this keeps up, I'm banning ALL OF YOU.
No worries. I'm done. If Mitch returns to this I'll keep it to PM's, but I'm confident in my references and work.

And now on to the ships.

The only real difference between the ships seems to be that De Zeven Provincien has only four liferaft launchers hidden behind panels on the starboard side of her hangar. All the rest have five.
Although the ships are usually seen with an incomplete set of equipment, I've got at least one set of photos of Evertsen sporting two Goalkeepers AND ECM.

Apparently depending on the threat level of the mission more equipment is added to each ship, possibly taken out of a pool of equipment. Usually one or two are in maintenance anyway, so they won't need ECM, or that second Goalkeeper.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I think the difference between the old one and the new versions is sufficient to warrant some trouble. Although perhaps not quite this much trouble...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 14th, 2010, 7:26 am
Very depressing to see some SB artists fighting over VERY small details of ONE vessel when:
- Many other ships already drawn in the SB catalog sometimes have LARGER errors...
- Especially when we see a phenomenal number of real ships WHICH ARE NOT YET DRAWN IN SB
:roll: :(

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 14th, 2010, 10:23 am
colo, colombimike, no problem anymore, the fight is over. I see your point and I agree with it, and unless mitch starts over again, there will be no fight anymore, and even if somebody starts it up again I won't be mingling in it, I am here to draw ships, not to fight about this sort of stuff. so I will be going back to drawing again.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Dutch Anti Air-commando-Frigate's(LCF)Posted: November 14th, 2010, 12:48 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Very depressing to see some SB artists fighting over VERY small details of ONE vessel when:
- Many other ships already drawn in the SB catalog sometimes have LARGER errors...
- Especially when we see a phenomenal number of real ships WHICH ARE NOT YET DRAWN IN SB
:roll: :(
Well, that's part of why it pissed me off so much! The LCF might not have been perfect, but considering a lot of the ships in the catalog, it was pretty good.
There really was no reason to update it when there is so much other work to do. And to start from scratch was ridiculous.

Of course then my ego took over, and it became a source of pride (never a good thing) to be better at this than Mitch. IMO I think I've made a good drawing a whole lot better.
But looking back on this it wasn't worth all the hassle. Both Mitch's and my time could have been served better. Much better.
acelanceloet wrote:
colo, colombimike, no problem anymore, the fight is over. I see your point and I agree with it, and unless mitch starts over again, there will be no fight anymore, and even if somebody starts it up again I won't be mingling in it, I am here to draw ships, not to fight about this sort of stuff. so I will be going back to drawing again.
I owe you a bit of an apology. I started ranting and raving at you, and you didn't deserve that. You were just caught between Mitch and me, and I took it out on you when all you did was pass on Mitch's information.

I'm sorry. All I can say is that I hope this hasn't put you off on working with others, and that you'll keep up your own good work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 13 »

Jump to: