Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 6th, 2010, 10:19 pm
I wanted to do some royal navy WW2 ships, so I thought I'd just start on one :D
still WIP, a lot still has to be done..... but I was wondering if anybody had comments or extra intel. also, my reference drawing doesn't show the place of directors, and some sources say there should be, others say nothing about it... anybody knows something about that?
Attachment:
castle class frigate.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 6th, 2010, 11:28 pm
Good start Ace,very nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 1:11 am
Ace
To my knowldge the castle never had any directors certianly not during WWII will have to check post war Here is a link to the some drawings that I have, will sort out what every othwer stuff that I have and add it to the Link in the next day or so

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/graham003/

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 9:35 am
Excellent choice Shipmate :D Here is a scan you might fine useful:

[ img ]

I was going to do it myself sometime; but if you can get it done now that's even better. BTW, this is the eralier version, without the 'lantern' radar; I can send you another scan from a book on that (also a higher res version of this one).

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 9:39 am
A good start.
No director was fitted, radar is Type 272 in a lantern on the mast (Bill's scan is of a later ship without the lantern and a different radar), IFF below that, HD/DF on the pole atop the mast. You can use the normal Shipbucket 20mm Oerlikon cannon (maybe Gunship's improved one with gunsight) rather than the small guns you've got so far. Later as Bills scan indicates 40mm Bofors were added. 4in mount is correct. Still needs ASDIC and a Depth-Charge thrower aft.
Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 9:49 am
Hood is right; I was looking at it again and realised I'd got them back to front: here is the earlier one:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Good start Ace. One thing thogh, is the 20mm gun-tub at the break of the forcastle, which is too high.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 3:31 pm
thanks for the feedback and images!
hood, I can't find those oerlikons, or are they not on the royal navy sheet?
novice, I don't quite get what you are saying......

and now I get the lack of comments on my other ships.... it's not only about how good you are drawing, but also what you are drawing ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 4:25 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
thanks for the feedback and images!
hood, I can't find those oerlikons, or are they not on the royal navy sheet?
novice, I don't quite get what you are saying......

and now I get the lack of comments on my other ships.... it's not only about how good you are drawing, but also what you are drawing ;)
On the Royal Navy sheet

[Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Castle class frigate/corvettePosted: November 7th, 2010, 4:40 pm
See below what I mean

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: