Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
eswube
Post subject: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Some time ago I found that certain of my earlier drawings in the Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast Guard thread need modification. That update got delayed again and again, but when the thread was finally nearing to an end, I decided that it's a good moment to do it. This decision coincided with that unfortunate forum breakdown not long ago. When I started redrawing some of my early drawings I found so many tempting references for other Soviet coastal warfare ships that it was just too much to resist (sorry Golly!), and finally I went on a sort of "drawing spree", whose results (or rather part of them) You can see below.
I'd like to point out, that it's one-off project. I do not have an intent to continue this thread (and to do rest of the ships in these classes). However, I have nothing against someone else continuing it in this thread (I must admit, I like that kind of "composite threads").

1) Motor Torpedo Boats
First motor torpedo boats in Soviet service were several 55ft CMB's captured from the Royal Navy in the course of the foreign intervention during Russian Civil War. They bring much interest in Soviet naval circles, but creation of the first MTB of domestic design had to wait until country's economic capacity regained some strenght after the war. Design work was made at TsAGI (Tsentralniy Aerogidrodinamicheskiy Institut - Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute) under supervision of famous aircraft designer Andrei N. Tupolev. It's result was small experimental boat Pervenets or ANT-3, completed in 1927. Boat's "aviational" heritage gave it metal airplane-float-like stepped hull, aviational engine (of US origin), speed of 54 knots and rather poor seakeeping abilities, however whole design was considered succesful enough to turn it into series-produced boat.

[ img ]

Succesful tests of Pervenets led to creation of more combat-capable design, MTB class Sh-4. 59 such boats were completed between 1928 and 1932, with last of them serving until 1946. They had slightly larger displacement than Pervenets, slightly lower speed (50 knots during tests), but kept it's predecessor's poor seakeeping qualities.

[ img ]

S-1 or Stalnoy was an attempt to build a large, steel-hulled motor-torpedo boats. Two such boats were completed in 1931, but were considered failure due to low speed (27 knots).

[ img ]

G-5 type motor-torpedo boats were continuation of the design line started with Pervenets. Mass-produced in multiple versions between 1933 and 1944, were the mainstay of Soviet MTB forces during World War 2.
Note: this craft have been already drawn earlier, but I dare to say that there might me some scaling issues in one of renderins (one or the other - maybe I am wrong, so I'm not going to argue). According to my sources, I believe that these ship's length was ca. 19,1 metre TOTAL, including torpedo rails aft.

[ img ]
[ img ]

G-6 of 1939 was an attempt to create a large MTB-leader (reminiscent of destroyer-leaders). It's significant characteristic was torpedo armament made of total of six 533mm torpedo launchers - three chutes aft and one triple trainable launchers on the deck. This arrangement proved unsatisfactory, however and the trainable launcher was relatively quickly removed.

[ img ]

G-8 on 1940 was also an attempt to create MTB-leader, albeit somewhat smaller than G-6. Design proved to be a total failure, with a top speed of just 32knots.

[ img ]

L-5 or TKL-1 class was the first really combat-capable air-cushioned warships. Two were built 1939-1940, armed with two stern 450mm torpedo launchers but their service was rather short as due to their peculiarity they were discarded already in late 1941.

[ img ]

UTK was an attempt to create a multipurpose MTB, turbine-propelled with coal (!) fired boilers. Prototype ship was launched in 1939 but problems with machinery caused massive delays and it was finally scrapped in 1951 without being even totally completed.

[ img ]

Due to rather poor seakeeping qualities of G-5 series MTB's, a more high-endurance craft was needed. In the end 4 prototypes were made: wooden D-2 and D-3 and steel SM-3 and SM-4, but only D-3 went into series production between 1940 and 1945. Two such boats were transferred in 1946 to Poland.
Note: another craft there might be scaling issue. According to official sorces their length was 21,1 metre, however Polish sources state, that two boats that enter service in the Polish Navy were measured after commissioning and their total length was 22,5 metre.

[ img ]

SM-4 was an attempt to create a high-endurance MTB. Being slow, proved a failure and didn't enter production.

[ img ]

Made in 1943, SKT-DD was to be "fast, high-endurance MTB", but was again a failure and ended only built in one unit.

[ img ]

Aim of Project 200 was to create an unified hull for boat motor-torpedo boat and submarine chaser. Largely succesful design, they were made in both wooden-hulled and metal-hulled variants. Wooden MTB's were TD-200 (1 boat in 1944) and TD-200bis (168 boats between 1946 and 1952), metal MTB's were TM-200 (5 boats in 1944) and TM-200bis (19 boats 1946-1948).

[ img ]

Initial Pr.123 boat completed in 1940 was a G-5 derivative, sharing general hull design but being larger. Their follow on was Pr.123bis mass produced between 1944 and 1948, further developed into M-123bis design and later into Pr.123K (NATO: P-4). These later boats were produced in two main versions - "A" and radar-equipped "Z" and were widely exported: to Albania, Bulgaria, China (including license-production), Cuba, Cyprus, North Korea, North Vietnam, Romania, Somalia, Syria, Tanzania and both Yemen states.

[ img ]
[ img ]

Mass produced Pr.183 boats (NATO: P-6) started entering service in the late 1949 and were another widely exported design, being delivered to Algeria, China (including license-production), Cuba, East Germany, Egypt, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Iraq, North Korea, Poland, Somalia, Syria, Tanzania, Vietnam and South Yemen.

[ img ]

2) Missile Boats
Small missile boats Pr.183R were a follow-on to succesful Pr.183 torpedo boats (largely being the former with torpedo launchers replaced with missiles) and were also the first ships of that class used in combat when two of these boats on 21st of october 1967 sunk Israeli destroyer INS Eilat. Widely exported, they served in the navies of Algeria, China (including license-production), Cuba, Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, North Korea, Syria and Vietnam.
Note: that particular drawing has been already posted by me in the "Small Ships" thread but I decided to add it here for the sake of "completness". ;)

[ img ]

Missile boats Pr.205 and Pr.205U (NATO: Osa 1 and Osa 2) were the second class of such vessels in the Soviet service (and in the world) and most widely used one, being build in around 400 units (including license-production in China) and exported to Algeria, Angola, Benin (without missiles), Bangladesh, Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Egypt, East Germany, Ethiopia, Finland, India, Libya, North Korea, Poland, Romania, Somalia, Syria, Vietnam, Yemen and Yugoslavia.

[ img ]
[ img ]

"Large rocket cutters" or "small rocket ships" (Polish term) or small missile corvettes of the Pr.1241 Molniya class are a mass produced vessels designed in 1970s to replace Pr.205 boats, with Pr.1241RE is an export variant. Ships of that class were sold to Bulgaria, East Germany, India, Poland, Romania, Vietnam and Yemen.

[ img ]

3) Small Submarine Chasers
Small submarine chaser of MO-1 class was reportedly initially built as fast yacht in 1935 but somehow ended up in Soviet Border Guards of NKVD and became a prototype of subsequent classes of MO boats.

[ img ]

MO-2 boats were made between 1935 and 1940 (27 boats). They were followed by three boats of MO-3 type (with slightly different machinery) in 1935.

[ img ]

MO-4 boats were most numerous of MO series, more than 200 being built between 1937 and 1945. Their follow-ons were single, slightly larger MO-5 boat (1941) and four steel-hulled MO-6 boats (1943).
Note: that particular drawing has been already posted by me in the "Small Ships" thread but I decided to add it here for the sake of "completness". ;)

[ img ]

MO-D-3 submarine chasers were 1943-1945 ASW conversions of D-3 motor-torpedo boats with torpedo launchers replaced with 37mm gun and depth charges.

[ img ]

Pr. 194 BMO (Bronirovannyi Morskoi Okhotnik) class boats were small submarine chasers with armored superstructure and certain other important areas. These craft were built in Leningrad (which determined their design) between 1943 and 1945. In 1946 one boat was transferred to Poland.

[ img ]

Aim of Project 200 was to create an unified hull for boat motor-torpedo boat and submarine chaser. Largely succesful design, they were made in both wooden-hulled and metal-hulled variants. Wooden hulled OD-200 submarine chasers were built between 1943 and 1945. In 1946 eleven boats were transferred to Poland, Bulgaria received 5 boats in 1947 and 1952, North Korea received two boats in 1954.

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on January 11th, 2015, 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 7:06 pm
You are in the zone lad!

Golly show this humble bucketer a mercy, christmas is coming... :D

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 7:47 pm
this gonna be another great thread

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 9:05 pm
You are on fire!! keep them coming!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Thank You Mates! :)
More will come if someone else will draw them, though. I did what I wanted for this thread. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Beautiful and educational contribution ;) :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 5th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Excellent vessels for sure. Some of those MTBs I've been considering having a go drawing as my first FD scale vessel.

[Profile] [Quote]
deankal55
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 6th, 2012, 1:44 am
Wow!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 6th, 2012, 9:10 am
Some of the stuff is actually allready done, but otherwise Nice collection, really nice, specially the prototype MTBs

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some small Soviet coastal combattantsPosted: December 6th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Oh, what a relief, that I won't be decapitated for poaching on restricted grounds of Soviet warships... ;)

I believe that "already done" are only:
G-5 - which I mentioned that has been done, but there might be scaling issues (some 2m of difference, which is significant),
D-3 - as above, plus done by me for Polish thread,
Pr.183 - done earlier by me for Polish thread,
Pr.183R - done long time ago by Portsmouth Bill (but His version is over 30m long, so rather oversized) and later by me for Small Ships thread,
Pr.205/Pr.205U - done long ago by MConrads and You mentioned Yourself that it's up for redraw anyway (plus Pr.205 done by me for Polish thread)
Pr.1241RE - done long ago and redrawn recently both by You and by me (for Polish thread) - and I guess that each of us will steadfastly claim that his and his only version is clearly superior to the other one. ;)
MO-4 - done earlier by me for Small Ships thread,
Pr.194 BMO - done earlier by me for Polish thread (only one variant),
Pr.200 OD - done earlier by me for Polish thread (only one variant).
Did I miss something? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 60 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: