Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 10:35 am
Begun here:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/shipbucket/ ... =2576&hl=C

Continuing, due to a need for the later designs in an AU I'm involved in. So, the Hunt IV, only two built to a modified design by Thornycrofts. The main diference was the extended forecastle much further aft, the wind trap extension to the bridge, and the knuckle in the hull, intended to keep the foredeck dry. In the AU, there would be more of these built, and subsequently more available for post war upgrades.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 11:17 am
Two word of criticism
One: the ship's name is HMS Brissenden
Two There was a twin Oerlikon mounting alonside the searchlight platform, each side of the ship.
I also like to add that the Pom-Pom looks odd, as well as the director.
Apart from the above I like it very much. It's about time these ship will be represented.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Nice one Bill

I have seen a photos that show on of these most intersting pair of ships only having singles abreast of the aft S/L platform but cant for the life of me remeber which one! all the drawings are of HMS Brissenden which show 4 x twin 20mm, will have have a hunt :mrgreen: around in my books. I think that is was a picture of on on them being scrapped in one of the early versions of "Warship" so as I am on holidays will have re-read all of them again.

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm
pretty well armed and looks fast for a ship this size

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 7:50 pm
An illustration from Monografie Morskie
[ img ]

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 24th, 2010, 8:49 pm
Great work Bill.

I suspect Freidman will have the answer to the 20mm questions. Nothing wrong with the Pom-Pom as its the mount with the flat sided shield. Both types are ok.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:27 am
I'm redoing the Brissenden, along with the Hunt III (and maybe the I). And thanks all for the feedback. But (quickly) just to clear up a point regarding added weapons radars etc. in RN wartime use; there simply is no way to rule on these as they changed so much, even on the same ship. Non of my drawings and pics show Brissenden with the (added) 20mm abaft the searchlight platform. The final version I'll do (for now) will show her as she appeared in 1946 (which was as she was commissioned). I have a smaller version of Novice's illustration, and yes, I can see now the 20mm has been added (which would also be nice for an AU version); but the more I look at that drawing the more I see major differences between it and others from reputable sources (esp Freidman); in short I suspect its not that accurate; and I'll hold judgement until we can see a photograph of her with the added mounts (graham?). Watch this space. :)

Here is the updated version:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 25th, 2010, 10:56 am
Bill your working on a Type 1 and III My HERO!!!
I have been looking all day for that photo and have found two photos of Brissenden, that show 4 twin 20mm and one of off was Brissenden, being broken up in Warship #21 that shows the twin 20mm abreast of the S/L But I can’t find the one with Beacon, Beacon must be one of the least photograph ship of WW2 it was paid off in 1945 which accounts for part of this. I will kept looking but in the big scheme of things drawing great ships it’s not worth losing too much sleep over I am sure Bill will do his normal great job UNLIKE THE ENGLISH CRICKET TEAM!!!!!

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 25th, 2010, 11:42 am
Yeah, I blame Peter Siddle :( Still, being half Aussie I can hedge my bets :P

It looks as though I'd better do the Hunt I then, which makes sense as all the others derived from it. Also, I'm not suggesting that the Brissenden never shipped an extra pair of dual 20mm; like the radar fit shown in the drawing it would have been carried at some point; but I beleive both ships were refitted for service in the Far East at the end of the war, and that changed appearances again. I have a low res colour drawing of Brecon in the same camo as the Brissenden is showing, so I could always do a version like that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Hunt ClassPosted: November 25th, 2010, 2:39 pm
Aha :D

I went over my sources, and found this pic of Brecon during scrapping:

[ img ]

We can see the mounts either side of the searchlight platform for the 20mm guns. I also found the same evidence on some drawings; so Novice is correct and I'll add in later.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: