Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
WhyMe
Post subject: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 12:00 am
I keep trying :)
[ img ]

Last edited by WhyMe on November 28th, 2010, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 7:58 am
I miss the shading of overhangs on this one, and the shape of the torpedo tubes and guns are a bit weird..... those aren't from the parts sheet, are they?
otherwise, rather good work. (but there is still room for improvement)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:06 am
You really need to read the guidelines.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16

As it stands this drawing would not be uploaded for the archive, which is a shame as it shows great promise.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:25 am
acelanceloet wrote:
I miss the shading of overhangs on this one, and the shape of the torpedo tubes and guns are a bit weird..... those aren't from the parts sheet, are they?
No they are not. Unfortunately I have no idea what kind of guns and torpedo tubes were used on Portuguese ships. All I know is their caliber (which is 1x102mm/40, 2x76mm and 450mm TT). Also the ships were ordered in Great Britain although they were assembled in Portugal.
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
You really need to read the guidelines.
I did... Have I messed up the contrast again?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:39 am
No, its not so much that, but there are so many deviations from what is Shipbucket standard that I thought spending time reading the guidelines would help you; also, please spend some time really, and (I mean really) studying the work of other members who have a reputable body of work in the archive: Gollevainen, Hood, Alvama, Novice Dartpanda etc etc. There is no doubt that you have the dedication to produce good work but you first need to learn the 'tools of the trade'.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:47 am
I understand that and I totally agree. In fact the need for initial experience is what makes me drawing many different ships now... I guess I have to slow down and revise what I've already done.
Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 9:28 am
few points:
(in order of importance)
1) the walking trough bridge that joins the forecastle and the superstructure needs to be three pixel tall (one black bellow one grey and and again one black)
2) The portholes needs to be of the bigger size ( I only allow you guys to use that shape on >20 meter MTBs...)
3) the ordanance. Guns, TTs, Searchligths...boats. One thing that has not been given enough attention actually is the searchligths. They should be faced towards the viewer, eg to the side of the ship, not foward/backward analong to the ship itself (like guns and weapons)
4) too much single black lines where there should be three pixel lines (like I told you in the previous drawing.)

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Thanks, Gollevainen.
There are so many important things that are obvious for you guys, yet they are not in the guidelines so there's no way for a noob (like me) to know about them...

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 10:53 am
Yeah, learning all the tricks takes many drawings...Most of the mistakes you (and other newcomers) make are the exact mistakes I use to do back when I joined MConrads & co.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Portuguese Douro class destroyerPosted: November 25th, 2010, 5:25 pm
One more point, as regarding the Shipbucket style is the dividing line between the upper hull and underwater hull. Again usr Portsmouth advice and look through the works of other members like Gollevainen, DarthPanda, Alvama to name but a few.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: