Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 20  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1220 »
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 9:09 pm
Ace,
Looking at the D-Class bow, I think I'm a tad off on shading.

More or less a knife bow so the below waterline shading curve needs to change a bit...there was some volume in there for crew lodging, storage, and a couple torpedo reloads. The dark shaded area above below the turtle-back is correct as there was some flaring out at the sharp transition from hull to turtle-back.

My focus was to try to get the details in without ending up with a dark unreadable mass of black line-work on a small hull. Basically spaced out and forgot to do a final tweak on the bow shading.

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Darth Panda:
I just noticed that you're missing the Officers WC and two 20ft collapsible Berthon boats on the HMTBD Havock. The WC was just aft of the funnels and the boats were stowed along the railings between the funnels and the forward ventilation intake.
[ img ]

CraigH:
I have a photo of Stag fitting out and it shows what I believe is a much broader boot topping and it looks like the forward gun platform railing is covered in canvas. I also have a small one of Angler in 1898 with the same canvas. Pictures of other TBDs taken around that time also share that feature.
I'll try and scan the image of Stag tomorrow and PM it to you.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 9:55 pm
Thiel wrote:
Darth Panda:
I just noticed that you're missing the Officers WC and two 20ft collapsible Berthon boats on the HMTBD Havock. The WC was just aft of the funnels and the boats were stowed along the railings between the funnels and the forward ventilation intake.
Is that Officer head? I thought that a ventilation tub. I will change it ASAP

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 10:00 pm
That's what the legend on the drawing claims.

Oh and CraigH, I'd try with a dark shade of red instead of brown for shading. The brown only really works when yu're doing the old single pixel wide line of shading along the edge and even then it works best on big ships.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 10:05 pm
the issue IMO with the hull is the shading at the extreme stem of the underwater hull. this now suggests an very wide bow (which in turn suggests a round bow) instead of the sharp bow I suppose these vessels would have. the same goes for the dark shade on the rudder.

btw, why the brown shade instead of darker red for the underwater hull?

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 25th, 2015, 10:14 pm
[ img ]
From my source, It didn't not have collapsible Berthon boats. I will leave it out pure to show off the detail on the deck.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 26th, 2015, 2:59 am
All:
My primary Source is the book "The First Destroyers" by Lyon. Secondary sources are on-line period images. I know DP has the book as well. It's an awesome reference.

@Thiel:
Officers heads look like they may be "portable" structures, possibly iron posts with canvas dodgers. I'd like to scrutinize photos to be sure. Plus, they may have been on most or all the TBD's. There's enough clutter with the vents that they're not missed. I took it off my D-Class drawing...it was too cluttered. Ditto with the dodgers above the bridge.

@ Ace:
Working on the shadowing. Will post an update Monday. Color choice for the below hull was a simple darker than the stock red in MS Paint. The brown shadow is a couple or three steps darker shade than that. The red is purely cosmetic in my mind because:

At some point (per "First Destroyers") there was a directive that all TBD's be delivered from the manufacturers with no boot topping and flat black overall, specifically even below the waterline! New ships delivered with boot topping and "not-black" were scraped down made black. That was based on visibility experiments made in night attack tests. Everything but flat black didn't work well against spot lights.

Other above surface surfaces had a couple color choices based on where the ships were stationed. Warm climates got white overall with ocher top-hamper. Not sure about below water-line. The main channel/home fleet looks like they were black overall, red inside the vents, and white turtle-back (or pale gray). Early on grays were tried but the Admiralty had a hell of a time with standardization with the hot shot young captains. That gray ranged from nearly white to nearly black...whatever the young buck liked.

Towards WW1 the overall color became gray. It was the best compromise between daytime and night camo. And gray sucked when under spotlights.

More later...wife calling :D
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Jackie Treehorn
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 26th, 2015, 6:04 am
Very good explanation CraigH. Hope to see more early destroyer drawings. There were so much of them and each ship builder had their variants from the different classes. I guess there could be 100 different models only from the UK.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 26th, 2015, 8:38 am
Very nice work from DP and CraigH.

I have the Lyon book too and can confirm it is a gem of information.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Victorian NavyPosted: October 26th, 2015, 9:36 am
It's the one I'm using as well

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 20  [ 199 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1220 »

Jump to: