Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 16th, 2013, 8:43 pm
As being said above, this type of ship is a class of its own. excellent work DG_Alpha

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 16th, 2013, 9:12 pm
Hood wrote:
Now that's what I call style! Loads of guns, funnels and rigging and a ram bow. Who could ask for more?
Couldn't of put it better myself. Superb drawing DG, ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 19th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Thanks. Thanks to everyone! Much appreciated!

Second (and last) ship of the class, SMS Yorck. She was laid down in 1902, lauched in 1903 and comissioned in 1905, before her sister ship and namesake of the class. She became part of the I. Scouting group as well and became the flagship of this fleet in 1911 und Admiral Franz von Hipper. In 1913, during a training exercise off Helgoland, the torpedo boat SMS S 178 fell out of formation and attempted to cross Yorck, but a wave tossed the boat onto the cruiser and the torpedo boat sunk with heavy losses of life. The same xear, Yorck was decomissioned and most of her crew transferred over to the new battlecruiser SMS Seydlitz.

With the outbreak of the First World War, SMS Yorck was recomissioned into the III. Scouting group (together with her sister Roon). After participating in the bombardment of British cities in 1914 and returning home in thick fog, Yorck made a navigational error and hit a German mine. She sunk with heavy losses, but the numbers of victims vary from source to source, ranging from 235 to 500 of her crew of 629.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 19th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Great work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 20th, 2013, 7:31 am
Excellent! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm
Again amazing. Good to see some old classic ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 20th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Excellent! There's a proper fighting ship. 8-)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: June 24th, 2013, 2:52 am
Fine drawing

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: July 7th, 2013, 11:33 am
Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

By 1910, the cranes and masts of Roon had been rebuilt to be similar to her sister Yorck. After having been replaced by the battlecruiser Moltke in 1912, Roon moved to the reserve fleet. After the outbreak of the war, she was reactivated into the III. Scouting Group. After particiapting in a few opening battle, Roon was deactivated and disarmed in 1916 to serve as a barracks- and training ship. Later in the war plans were made to convert her into a seaplane carrier, but those plans never materialized.
[ img ]

With this, I'd like to complete this topic. If someone has any comments, spots any mistakes or additional informations and resources, fell free to let me know. I'm always open for additions.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Germany - Roon-class armoured cruiserPosted: July 7th, 2013, 12:10 pm
Beautiful! I really love the badge!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: