Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 24th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Are the three-way views the 'new standard' or will that be a four-way view :D
I think a three-way drawing is 'standard' for carriers if a good reference drawing or even official plans are at hand since it is good to show the flight dack and usually port and starboard sides are quite different from each other. For other warships often the starboard-side only is enought since destroyers, cruisers and battleship used to be more simmetrical, with some exceptions (Like the Oyodo for example), also it might be useful to show camouflage schemes that differed from the two sides (like Colosseum has done with some USN cruisers.
Moreover I wanted to make Taiho justice, so I've followed Bombhead's standards since i consider him the 'unofficial' Shipbucket master of aircraft carriers after his works on RN flattops.

Anyway, i said another drawing was in the works, so here it is:
IJN Taiho as she looked on june 19th 1944 during Operation A-Go, better known as the Battle of the Philippine Sea.
[ img ]
The darwing Depicts her with her nw flight deck coating, enclosed machine gun directors, extra safety nets around the flight deck to protect the machine gun crews from planes in case they failed landing and crashed sideways and finally, flying Vice-Admiral Jisaburo Ozawa flag on the mast.
On that morning At 07:45 while launghing her first strike Taiho was hit by a single torpedo fired by the US sumarine USS albacore, the explosion jammed the forward elevator and ruptured the aviation fuel tanks. Taiho paid hard her only major design flaw, the armored flight deck put her so low in the water that when the bow dipped by 1,5meters because of the torpedo hit flooding the bottom of the elevator pit filled with water and fuel, starting to vapurizing and spreading o the hangar. Yet the decisive event that led to her loss was because of poor damage control, in a wrong effort to disperse the fuel vapurs the damage control team opened all the hatches and ventilation ducts: this eventually only managed to spread the fumes through all the shp, effectively turning the carrier into a floating bomb.
Around 2:30 PM of the same day a massive explosion blew away the sides of the hangars and buckled the flight deck. Taiho immediately lost speed and started to settle upright, ultimately sliding beneath the waves at 4:28 PM, taking a third of her crew with her a mere three months after being commisisoned.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on May 23rd, 2014, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 24th, 2013, 3:55 pm
As Uncle George would say, "Oh myyy!" :lol:

Incredible work, my friend!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 24th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Fantastic work BB!

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 24th, 2013, 10:29 pm
looks amazing!

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 24th, 2013, 10:46 pm
This is a superb piece of work. The clarity of the detail is breathtaking.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 25th, 2013, 8:09 am
Simply stunning. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 25th, 2013, 10:27 am
I'll join praises... Great!

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 25th, 2013, 11:17 am
Incredible work. The standard is super high. Well done.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 25th, 2013, 11:59 am
What van I say. Even I could not do it that good.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Japan - Taiho Class Aircraft Carrier.Posted: December 25th, 2013, 3:47 pm
...and there, Henrik, we have your famous humility... ;) 8-) :D :lol: :lol: -but I do agree with you. It's absolutely fabulously drawn. Few will ever compare or surpass that level of artistic skill!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: