Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1522 »
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 9:57 pm
maomatic wrote:
- Multiple angle view of "Graf Spee" during August 1939. The drawing representes her after leaving Wilhelmshaven on 21. August 1939 - bound for the south Atlantic and awaiting the outbreak of WW II:
Your 1939 Graf-Spee camo-color is fully wrong

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:01 pm
That's just amazing. Wow!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:12 pm
Wow. I can honestly say they are some of the finest SB drawings I've seen. The old drawings from the pioneers were very good for the time and certainly inspired a lot of us to give it a go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:14 pm
maomatic,
:mrgreen:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 11:56 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Your 1939 Graf-Spee camo-color is fully wrong
As helpful and complimentary as always. :roll:

She didn't have black camo as seen by the first drawing...here's more photos showing her in disguise and entering Montevideo:

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral ... quise.html
http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral ... video.html

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 24th, 2015, 12:00 am
Hi,

thanks for the comments guys!

@Colombamike:
Well, I have to disagree with you here...
The second drawing depicts her as of August 1939 - a few weeks before the war even started.
She left Wilhelmshaven on her way to her designated hunting grounds in her peacetime colours. (The hull could actually be a darker colour, but thats another story...)

The pictures you've posted are of a later date (November-December '39).
Like I said, camoed versions will follow. I am using the excellent "German Naval Camouflage Vol.1" by John Assmussen & Eric Leon as a guide.

@acelanceloet:

Thanks for the input! You are making some valid points.
Quote:
- on the front view, there is a knuckle in the side of the ship. this would be just below the edge of the armoured belt. however, I cannot find this knuckle in the side view?
I must admit, the hull is giveing me some headaches...
All my references were differing in the area around the belt and after studying photos of the ships' launch, it seems like the lower part of the belt "disappears" into the hull sides. There it should taper down from 80mm to 50mm at its lower end.
Here's a quick sketch, to show you what I mean:
[ img ]
I will definitely have to rework that area!
Quote:
- showing the shape of the hull would be done quite perfectly with the 45 degrees hull shading. not that I want to force that onto you, but try it out maybe?
- the shading on the bow, due to the flare of the bow, is not matching between front and side view.
Yeah, I was actually toying around with your shading-standards, but I just couldn't make it look right.
I might give it another try and send you a PM with my results so that you can have a look over it, if thats ok? Might take a few days though.
When done right, it surely looks fantastic!
Quote:
I think the front and back views would look better with the cranes folded inwards (then it matches the top and side views too :P)
I tried to draw it with the crane folded, but it didn't turn out too well. Lots of double black lines and the drawing - esp. the rear-view- became even more "cluttered" than it already is. So making it that way was "Plan B" I guess... ^^
Quote:
- the front view shows the bilge keel to be high in the middle and low at the edges. the side view shows it the other way around (which seems correct). or at least it seems that way to me.
I'll look into it! Thanks!

Cheers!
-maomatic -

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 24th, 2015, 1:13 am
maomatic wrote:
I am using the excellent "German Naval Camouflage Vol.1" by John Assmussen & Eric Leon as a guide.
That's probably THE best source out there today...can't wait for the drawings!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 24th, 2015, 9:54 am
Well apart from the niggles (which occur in any drawing this complex) this is very impressive work. When you compare this to Golly's original many moons ago the huge increases in skill over the years is more than apparent. Will this be the definitive Graf Spee drawing? Only time will tell...

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 24th, 2015, 10:30 am
Superb drawings maomatic. I'm looking forward to the different renditions.

Thanks for sharing the link emperor_andreas I've never seen the Graf Spee with the dummy turret or funnel.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: January 25th, 2015, 9:58 pm
Amazing job.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1522 »

Jump to: