Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 15th, 2017, 10:30 am
maomatic wrote: *
The last drawing depicts Lützow in early 1945.
Note the increase in light AAA and the mix of calibres (4cm, 3,7cm and 2cm). The exact number and layout of the light AA guns varies quite a bit between sources.I modeled my drawing after Koop & Schmolkes "Pocket Battleships of the Deutschland Class", the few available period photos of Lützow and what I'd like to call "common sense"...
@MAOMATIC
my grain of salt :mrgreen:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 15th, 2017, 5:40 pm
The drawings look excellent, and with the high quality photo research provided by Colombamike these can become some of the most accurate drawings of the class ever produced. Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:10 pm
Thanks for the comments!

@Colombamike:

All in all I suppose we kind of came to the same conclusions?

- The single 2cm on the forward searchlight plattform was indeed removed by early 45, apparently because of poor firing-arcs.
- I am not entirely sold on the 4x2 2cm's underneath the fwd rangefinder. I don't think that there's enough space for four such guns and the picture is too blurry to say for certain.
- The twin mounts fwd of turret A are supposedly 3,7cm Flakzwilling 43's. (As are the guns behind the torpedo tubes)
- The gun next to the rear rangefinder should be a Bofors Flak 28. (6 single mounts were equipped)
- According to Koop & Schmolke, light AA consisted of 6x 4cm, 10x 3,7cm and 28x 2cm (3x4, 6x2 shielded & 2x1 unshielded +2unknown).
From looking at the photos, I had to disagree with them here and there and came up with 6x 4cm, 8x 3,7cm an 26x 2cm (5x4 + 2x2 shielded + 2x1 shielded).

Due to the declining war situation, I believe changes to te AA-outfit were made frequently (without documentation?) and it was simply mounted what was available.

So, I guess we will never be able to tell with certainty what is wrong or right in that matter...

Well, I never claimed to be right, or now better than respected authors and historians, but those were just my 2 cents... :-)

Cheers!
maomatic

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 20th, 2017, 4:43 pm
Just brilliant! The detailing is 1st class, I love the summer '43 camouflage, which is stunning IMHO.

In reference to the large drawing that Colombamike had used, it would be awesome if Shipbucket used a scale similar to that.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 20th, 2017, 4:55 pm
I'm confused about the AA guns, which some posts
identify as 40mm Bofors. I thought that all German
AA guns were either 20mm or 37mm. According to my
history books, only Sweden and the Allies used 40mm.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 20th, 2017, 5:06 pm
signal wrote: *
According to my history books, only Sweden and the Allies used 40mm.
FALSE,
By 1944-1945, the Kriegsmarine used some bofor single 40mm mount (named "4 cm/56 Flak 28" in german service).

Guns intended for german naval use were manufactured at the Norwegian Kongsberg Arsenal. The Arsenal started license production of this weapon for the Royal Norwegian Navy in the 1930s and was kept in limited production throughout the war. Introduced into German naval service about late 1943 and was used to arm the cruisers Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen as well as some Schnellbootes. As far as is known, only single mountings were ever used on warships and only HE tracer was issued. The Kriegsmarine received 578 guns for use on ships with an additional 247 guns delivered as coast-defense weapons.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 21st, 2017, 2:57 pm
maomatic wrote: *
- This last drawing of "Admiral Scheer" in 1945 is still kind of WIP. I haven't been able to find out what particular radar set she was carrying during this period. As far as I know a FuMO 26 with a 4x2m mattress antenna was installed, but I can't figure out how it looked like. So I cheated a little and have drawn the rangefinders rotated to the front /rear...
Another problem is the exact layout of her final AA-outfit. According to Koop & Schmolke's excellent "Pocket Battleships of the Deutschland class" she was armed with six 4 cm Bofors, eight 3,7 cm and thirty-three 2cm AA guns. I have no idea how the guns were distributed and I kind of doubt the presence of the 3.7cm's.
@maomatic :mrgreen:
After Lutzow
Eggs :roll: for Admiral-Scheer
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 21st, 2017, 8:50 pm
Beautiful artwork of these ships! Thanks for the info on
AA guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine Deutschland and Scharnhorst class WIPPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 4:32 pm
Again, thanks for the comments guys!

@Tempest:
That would be awesome, wouldn't it? But imagine all the work it would take to draw a cruiser or a BB in something like FD-scale. (I leave that to master arists such as ALVAMA...) :-)

@Colombamike:
Very cool, thank you!
I'll have to look at Admiral Scheer again to make some changes. Adding a late '44 drawing with two tone dark grey / medium grey and a different AA-outfit might be interesting, too.

I'll PM you when I'm able to come up with something. Might take a while, though!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 22  [ 219 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22

Jump to: