[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
wb21
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: April 6th, 2015, 5:48 pm
Great work boss. :)
Looking forward to seeing the Karas.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 11:48 am
After the first Pr.1134A class, the design was altered to incorporate more advanced techology, namely the M-5 gas turbine plant and Vega towed variable depth sonar to suplement the Titan-2 (titan-2k in most units) bow mouted sonar. The propulsion arragment and economical feasibility changed their building yards from Leningrad to Nikolayev, in Ukrainian SSR, on the black sea coast, where the near by gas turbine factory provided easier logistics. The Pr.1134B featured also more powerfull defensive armament, with AK-276 twin automatic 76,2mm ordanance replacing the 57mm set and Osa-M close range SAM system. 7 ships were build and intially they were all intended for the Pacific fleet, where their main operative area would have been the Philiphinean sea, to hunt down USN Polaris submarines. However, most of the class served in the Black Sea in order to participate in the Mediterrain operations. The ships came in three main variations, with the Nikolayev and Ochakov having the older Zaliv ECM suite, as presented here by Ochakov
[ img ]

Then Kerch, which had the Koltso ECM fitted,
[ img ]

and the rest, which theoretically were to field the Koltso, but this was never fitted, as presented here by Tashkent:
[ img ]

Unlike many previous large soviet surface combatant, the Pr.1134Bs were designed with possible future modifications in mind with lots of allowed reserve stability and space. Ironically, no true modification plans were implemented due the fall of the union and the economical turmoil, despite some intresting concepts were planned, most of them featuring removal of the Metel/Rastrub complex and replacing them with various set of strike missiles. Reason for this was the obvious downfall of the entire idea of the Metel/Rastrub. The missile had impressive range of 55nm, but actual range that the ship could itself detect underwater targets were close to 12nm. Only one ASW helicopter was fitted, and thus it was impractical to use their capacities as main target accustion method for the main armament (and mostly Soviet fleet considered areal operations too risky and dangerous during the wartime, due the superiority of the enemy's naval aviation). These remedies were somewhat corrected in the following BPK design, the Pr.1155 with two Ka-27 helicopters and the gigantic Polimont sonar...but that is another saga itself.

Some limited modernisations did took place. Petropavlovsk had eletronical helicopter landing system fitted in place of the RBU-1000 AT RLs and was fitted for Ka-27 operations.
[ img ]

Azov was chosen to be test ship for the new Fort SAM system, and the missile and its volna FCR was fitted on the stern. As a backup (incase the Fort would provide failures in its testing nature), the foward position retained the Shtorm complex, so the ship would retain operational status. in 1977 Azov thus became first warship with VLS system installed.

[ img ]

Finally, Kerch recieved the MR-650 Podberezovik radar in place of teh MR-600 in 1988.
[ img ]

After the USN switched to the Trident missiles in their submarines, which could be launched to USSR from confined homeseas of US, the class sort of lost their purpose (as did the whole BPK concept), and they were first relocated into defences of the "Bastions", eq in Pacific Fleet, to defend the domestic SSBNs in the Sea of Okhotsk from hostile hunter-killer SSN incrucions, but largely they were in sort of limbo state of purposefullness, when the Union ended and the Soviet Naval power lost its meaning. Gradually therefore, they didn't find much use in the New Russian fleet, the pacific fleet units were decommisioned during the 1990s, and only Ochakov, Kerch and Azov continued to serve in descenting activity in the Black sea fleet. Only Kerch survives at this point, though it suffered a fire last year, and is out of operations with no secure future ahead, while Ochakov made headlines during the Krimiean take-over in good old fashioned blockship form.

And this ends the ASW sidestory of this saga and the next contribution to this thread will come in form of surface strikes again...soon I hope...

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 12:21 pm
In Finnish Army/Navy/Airforce is a definition to lead "from the front." I'm glad you're doing the same in here. You'll indicate how things should be done. Good work; The Chief.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 12:39 pm
Marvelous work Golly.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 3:50 pm
Awesome work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 3:56 pm
Great work, Antti! However, I did the Kerch as of present, based on your old drawing (original now lost, alas!), and when I researched the Kerch I noticed that she was shipping a small SatCom (commercial?) on top of her charthouse; and that's been shipped, at least since 2009. So, maybe check that?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 9th, 2016, 4:26 pm
thanks for the words, specially from sebu, its indeed long been a sort of burden for me, If Im to retain the helm, I must also keep producing drawings, and at the same time both seems to be mutually excluding each other :D

re: Ari
mean this one?
[ img ]
its on the wrong side, and obscured from by the searchlight to be shown

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 10th, 2016, 4:28 am
No, actually not. That's an interesting view though. Besides, that's not a SatCom at all - the way we think of military or maritime ones, that's just a plain satellite receiver dish, like you'd have at home for your TV service subscription. No, I meant a real SatCom dome, though its size may indicte it being a commercial one. Let me see if I can find that picture. I lost a humoungus amount of stuff a few years' ago, when I had toyed around withyour Karas for my own archive, so may have to look online again.

Oh, and the Kerch does have the Russian CoA painted on her brige as of 2012.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 10th, 2016, 8:40 am
Well, if you find one, it would be nice, since I couldn't spot any picture of it attached while I searched, and I mostly used nice set from 2012 where it definetly was not installed.
Of the badges (its not russian Coat of arms, but some local one), I don't drew them on board the ships. Just like with the rather more visible name tags at the stern, I left them all out, since to get them rigth on SB scale is rahter hard without actuall clear seperate references of the style and font. Someday, if I or someone else could came up a good SB scale fonts of the stylistic cyrilic letters, I could add them on these drawings...

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet Rocket Cruiser RemakesPosted: January 10th, 2016, 9:54 am
These are superb updates, compared to the previous drawings you did, the improvements are very obvious.
I agree, drawing does take time, its seems you either complete a drawing in a day without any problems or its takes weeks researching and agonising over details!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »

Jump to: