Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 519 »
David Latuch
Post subject: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm
I was looking through the Real Ships Archive and noticed that the only drawing of New Mexico we had was pre-war after her cage masts were replaced with the tripods. I started with the existing hull and soon grew frustrated and keep the bulge. Do I still need to attribute ALVAMA?

Well regardless here is what I have so far:

[ img ]

Fire away!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 1:37 pm
Are you saying that everything except the bulge is redrawn? If so, I don't believe you have to credit Alvama. However, did this class have such prominent bulges already by 1918/19? I haven't bothered to check any refs., but I am somewhat doubtful...
Otherwise this promises something great!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm
The New Mexico was somewhat of a transitional ship, going from a bulbous ram bow to a clipper bow, so they did indeed have bulges like that throughout their entire "lives" And David, you can look at my Mississippi for inspiration, you can find it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... pi1920.png

Last edited by Karle94 on May 2nd, 2014, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:20 pm
Not "as built", but thought I'd link this anyway:

http://floatingdrydock.com/BB41.jpg

A Floating Drydock drawing of BB-41 as refitted during the war, from one of the best sources around... I'd save that while you have a chance, I'm surprised he posted it on his website in such high resolution. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:35 pm
Karle94 wrote:
The New Mexico was somewhat of a transitional ship, going from a bulbous ram bow to a clipper bow, so they did indeed have bulges like that throughout their entire "lives" And David, you can look at my Mississippi for inspiration, you can find it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... pi1920.png
Sorry Karle,

I didn't know somebody had done this class. I'll back off.

This is as far as I finished. Tell what I drew incorrectly.

[ img ]

Here's the hull I started to use . . . things are rather willy nilly.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on May 2nd, 2014, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:46 pm
You can continue with this one. Firstly, the rudder is too far aft, and remove the torpedo bulges, she didnt recieve them until her refit in 1931-1933. Also she was commisioned with hull mounted guns, ony the Mississippi was completed without them. You should also reduce the shading on the funnel and the barbettes.

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:52 pm
David Latuch wrote:
I started with the existing hull and soon grew frustrated and keep the bulge. Do I still need to attribute ALVAMA?
As you appear to have used the majority of ALVAMA's underwater hull, then yes I'm pretty certain you should credit appropriately ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:54 pm
Karle94 wrote:
You can continue with this one. Firstly, the rudder is too far aft, and remove the torpedo bulges, she didnt recieve them until her refit in 1931-1933. Also she was commisioned with hull mounted guns, ony the Mississippi was completed without them. You should also reduce the shading on the funnel and the barbettes.
She does seem, from dry dock photos, to have a tapered armor belt http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014000g.jpg and http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014000h.jpg

I'll get rid of the bulge and see how the belt looks . . . I hate bulges anyway, look what it did to the Tennessee; a beautifull lady turned ugly and fat.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 4:00 pm
Armor belts usually stick out yes, but they dont look like torpedo bulges; very wide. Usually armor belts are colored with dark gray for the hull, and orange for the underwater hull. If it is very thick, it is usually drawn with three pixels width.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 4:07 pm
Karle, I did mean the anti-torpedo bulges (I thought that was obvious!), so your answer to me was then wrong, but you corrected it in a reply to David, so I'm satisfied...(having scoured over hi-rez pictures of the ship to try and find evidence of those bulges!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 519 »

Jump to: