Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 1:39 pm
Hello everyone!

As threatened: The Helgoland-class battleships, Germany's second dreadnought type and the last german capital ship with triple expansion engines. The speed difference to early turbine dreadnoughts was minimal, however, and the Helgolands were considered much better sea boats than their immediate predecessors too. With their powerful 50-caliber 305mm guns and their 300mm side armour, they were easily a match for all British dreadnoughts prior to HMS Orion, and still dangerous opponents for superdreadnoughts too.

Luckily for me, they all looked very similar to each other with minimal extermal differences. The class ship SMS Helgoland as she looked when she was completed:

[ img ]

SMS Helgoland had her funnels raised by 1,50 meters in 1915 and received observation posts on both masts; the forward searchlight platform had been extended aft, and the useless 88mm guns in the stern were removed.

[ img ]

At the time of the battle of Jutland, the aft compass pedestal had been removed, and the bridge structure had been enlarged. The canvas cover over the railings was always optional; since this picture shows SMS Helgoland at Jutland, the canvas is deployed.

[ img ]

The second ship of the class was SMS Thüringen. She differed from Helgoland only by having an additional ventilator between both forward funnels, otherwise she was identical.

[ img ]

Thüringen had her funnels heightened in a similar way as Helgoland, but already in 1913; otherwise, she received the same modifications as Helgoland. This is how she looked at Jutland, where she was credited by German sources with the destruction of HMS Black Prince.

[ img ]

Third and most prominent ship of her class was SMS Ostfriesland, although her fame mostly comes from her demise as a bombing target. The entire class is sometimes named for her, although she was neither laid down nor completed first. She had the same additional ventilator as Thüringen (probably; I've seen it only on a drawing, no phtograph I've ckecked shows that area sufficiently cleanly. This is how she looked at Jutland:

[ img ]

After Jutland, the torpedo nets and the remaining 88mm guns - save two in HA mountings - were removed and the galley exhaust was lengthened and stepped againt the after mast. She also had her funnels brought up to the same length as Helgoland and Thüringen and received an additional deckhouse just forward of the first funnel.

[ img ]

The last ship, SMS Oldenburg, initially looked identical to Thüringen. In 1913, she had her funnels heightened by 3 meters, thus having the highest funnels of the class.

[ img ]

And this is how she looked at Jutland:

[ img ]

As for the hull colour issue: I think the bright red rule is being not rigorously enforced since I joined the bucket (after all, most french, italian and russian ships have green hulls); in my opinion, we should just go for the real colour. Copying and pasting it should be easy enough even for a complete newcomer.

Greetings
GD

Last edited by Garlicdesign on May 7th, 2014, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 1:45 pm
Man you really work fast and those are excellent drawings! I'm afraid the badges will take some time, I'll post them when they are ready.

One minor point: The class was called the Helgoland-class, yet all images have Ostfriesland-class written on them.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 2:09 pm
Lovely looking drawings of my second favorite HSF ship class after the Seydlitz. I personally prefer that hull shade as it looks more natural with these.
Still actually contemplating in my mind a what-if 1920s/30s refit of these for Baltic use as a deterrent against the Bolsheviks but I doubt there's really anything much you could do with them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 2:11 pm
Beautifull work Garlic :)

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 3:39 pm
Wonderfull work GD :D Sorry to say it, but I have to agree with DG_Alpha; the class is official named Helgoland class :?

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 4:09 pm
Excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 4:10 pm
Guys, I think he's well aware of the class-name, and just jumbled it up in the drawing by accident. The name of the thread sorta implies it. :P ;)

Great work on the drawings though. German battleships of the Dreadnought-WW1 era are growing greatly on me at the moment. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 4:17 pm
Yet another stunning entry, Garlicdesign! Inspiring work for sure!

[Profile] [Quote]
Navarchos
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 7:58 pm
Excellent, Marvelous, absolutely Fabulous!!!! Well done Mr!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Helgoland classPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 8:43 pm
Incredible work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: