Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Karle94
Post subject: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 9:56 pm
I decided a little while ago to take a little break from my battleships. Realising I had nothing to do, I thought about the Indianapolis. I searched, and found no results of someone drawing her, so I decided to take up the challenge. So after a few days, I have this: The Indianapolis as she appeared in mid 1945, around the time she was sunk by the Japanese submarine I-58 after ferrying parts for Little Boy to Tinian.

[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on June 22nd, 2014, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 10:05 pm
what are those (large) directors? I cannot remember seeing those before..... it also seems interesting, the highest directors (most of the time the main battery directors) are much smaller then aforementioned directors (same goes for the guns, although they look like the Mk 9 in modified form)

btw, I see no need for such agressive overhang shading on the bow, the flare is not that extreme there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 10:17 pm
The director in question is the Mk 33 gund director, also used on the New Mexico class. it was added in 1941, or 1942. navsource doesnt have any pictures that puts this into light. Pictures from July 10 1945 confirms that they were there when she sank. I shall tone down the shading at the bow.

Edit: I have taken off 8 pixels thickness off the bow shading.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 10:26 pm
Hmmm...her underwater hull is wrong. Too sharp stem foot, too steep angle on the propeller shafts and too short shaft tunnel; in fact the after most part of the shaft tunnels are missing! The rudder is wrong, both in size and shape, as are the way, way too long stabilizers. Also lacking is the typical 'V'-break at the stern (for reference take a look at the Northamptons; a thing you ought to have done before even starting this project!), also the break at the stern is way, way exaggerated; overall, the hull appears to sit too low in the water too.
I'm afraid to say this to you, Karle, but this is not one of your master pieces. It lack so much in accuracy and apparent research, that it's better to start all over again.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 11:41 pm
I have completely remade the underwater hull based on a much better source. It should look much better now.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 11:48 pm
Aren't 8" guns usually four pixels thick? They look kind of fat with three pixels.
I can't speak for accuracy, but I do like the ships, and from a pure drawings standpoint, I like her.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 22nd, 2014, 11:57 pm
The 8 inch guns are 5 pixels thick at the muzzle. I have changed it to 4.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 12:03 am
That was a blunder on me... Ah well.
Looks much better with four pixels than five.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 12:08 am
Better, except that the end point of the flute aft is at the wrong spot. It should coalesce with the break between stern post and aft floatplane. Also, the forefoot is still too straight! And why on earth use such an ungainly looking cutter, when there's a complete set of USN boats available?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS IndianapolisPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 12:15 am
The whaleboat is from the USN boats sheet. What do you mean by flute? If it is the instrument, I think I forgot to add it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: