Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:50 pm
No, his version is fine - he drew it from the Thomas Walkowiak drawings in Robert Sumrall's book on the Iowa class ships. Mine was drawn from A.D. Baker III's drawing of Iowa in Friedman's Battleships, and then modified into the other ships. Mine needed to be revisited with the new parts and the better sources I have available now anyway.

My questions really relate to details.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:56 pm
that answers my question..... but aren't the iowa class in the booklet of general plans? of 1984 and 1956, but still..... is the book on the same level of perfect as the official yard plans? just asking because tracing from a book is fine, if the book is checked and accurate :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 3:14 pm
Walkowiak drawings are plotted (not traced) using measurements taken from the Booklet of General Plans... so I'd say they're pretty accurate. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 3:42 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Three days from starting the project to posting this is a bit short, don't you think? Are you sure most of this isn't just traced? ;) You'll have to forgive me if I ask a lot of questions:
I am working on it since 1 week now... ;)
Quote:
I'm curious what the "cross" antennas are at the top masts...
I am checking but I still dont know. :?
Quote:
You have two sizes of the SG radar on the drawing... the smaller one is the accurate one... but I would recommend checking all your parts against my big sheet.
Corrected now.
Quote:
The SK-2 radar you have is the old one which is way out of scale.
Do you have a side view ? If not, I will work on it. :D
Quote:
What is the contraption at the forward air defense level behind the Mk.38 director?
What do you mean ?
Quote:
Why is the amidships Mk.37 trained fore-and-aft, while you seem to have drawn P&S-facing 20mm and 40mm guns? (I like the way these look)
Thanks ! ;) I will adapt the Mk.37 with a front view.
Quote:
The thickness of a lot of the staffs and poles around the stacks bothers me - I think most of these can be adequately represented with a single dark gray or black pixel line.
I know. It's a big work to make nice adaptation of the antennas that look the reality. :?
Quote:
What are the various protrusions along the front of the fire control tower? I assume they are lights but they aren't very well defined.
You mean the light gray lines ?
Quote:
All for now, I'm very sick and don't want to spend any more time staring at a screen. ;)
Sorry for that my friend ! :(

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 6:43 pm
I am becoming Colombamike, that most hated of members... :(

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 6:53 pm
Colosseum wrote:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 6:58 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 7:03 pm
A few more points:

Why are the anti-corrosion zinc blocks drawn differently on the rudder and the shafts?

What is the small part at the rail on the fantail behind the crane?

From examining my copy of Sumrall's book, the cross-shaped antennas on the mast tops are just standard TBS antennas (like I thought)... you can find them on my big sheet.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 7:13 pm
I am just looking a bit at the sections in the general arrangement plans of the BB62, which should have the same hull shape as the BB-63........
please check the hull shading. the skegs do not show the shape they actually are, the area above the bilge keel should be shaded too, and between frame 101 and frame 95 the hull starts to tighten up (larger bilge cross section) after that it keeps tightening slowly towards frame 58 and then it starts curving into the extreme shape of the bow (in which case the flare of the above-water hull should maybe even be shaded)
currently, it looks like it is nicked from a ship with an higher Cb (block coefficient), maybe an slower battleship class? please be so kind to use this shading style correctly, or just leave it off. just copying it is not going to cut it for any real design ship, as every single ship design differs in hull shape.

EDIT: also, looking at those very same plans, unless they rebuild the double bottom between 1945 and 1956, the water inlets and sea chests on your drawing make little sense. none under the machinery but a lot under the aft magazine?

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: BB-63 USS Missouri ''Migthy Mo'' 1945 and more...Posted: July 3rd, 2014, 7:55 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
[ img ]
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 10  [ 91 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »

Jump to: