Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
sailor82
Post subject: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 27th, 2014, 2:00 am
This is my version of the Hamilton class High Endurance Cutters as originally built. Squizzy did an outstanding job with his designs and the later FRAM versions are prominently detailed on the web. The class as originally designed and built is sorely under represented. Originally 32 units were planned for the collection of meteorological and oceanographic data on "ocean station" as part of the "Gate Project". However, by 1970 new jet aircraft were coming to rely less on fixed ocean stations; and satellites were providing weather data. The need for ocean stations was being questioned and the requirement was reduced to 12 units.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Of note, there is an excerpt in the book "Electronic Greyhounds: The Spruance-Class Destroyers" that stated that the Canadian Iroquois class DDH was influenced by the USCG's Hamilton class WHEC, which in turn influenced the USN's Spruance class DD. At the time they were built only one other class of warship in the world used a similar CODOG system, a West German frigate design. This technology has since become standard for high performance vessels. The design has come home ...

Last edited by sailor82 on July 27th, 2014, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 27th, 2014, 2:48 am
Sorry to be a nitpicker, but on the naming area of the drawing could you please tell us which ship of the Hamilton Class you have drawn and which year for each version you have drawn.

They look ok to me but I don't know much about modern ships so I will leave it to others to critique the drawing itself.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 27th, 2014, 3:38 am
They were already drawn

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 27th, 2014, 10:27 am
the difference between sailor82's and squizzy's version are considerable though..... to the point that I am about to say that one of them is wrong!

and bloody hell, why does everybody have electronic greyhounds, I really should get my hand on a copy of that book :P

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 12:54 am
Also, these need quite a bit of cleanup:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 1:45 pm
Wrong in what way Jan?

Back in the late 80's I went aboard one of the ships that went through the FRAM upgrades while building a highly detailed and accurate model of one...it was a very complete tour with a stack of blueprints as a surprise gift. There was another berthed nearby with plenty of little differences.

So besides cleanup of the background, I'm not sure how qualified most of us are to judge drawing accuracy without some extremely deep research or first hand knowledge.

Props on the drawing progress so far.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 1:47 pm
CraigH, wrong in the sense, squizzy's and sailors drawings look so different, in shape and details, that they cannot represent the same thing. meaning, one of the drawings has mistakes. to which one of that is, I have no idea though, because I lack the knowledge of these ships for that.

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 3:17 pm
TJ - I think whatever function you are using is registering my paint strokes when I was cleaning up the drawing.

Ace - The majority of my references are from the official Coast Guard History website. There I found a 1969 Proceedings pictorial article as well as other articles that were very informative.

CraigH - Did they give you any drawings of the class prior to FRAM?

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Sailor,
I had all sorts of engineering drawings: extensive hull, structures, masts, enough accurate material for SB suitable weapons, etc., etc. to make us go nuts. The focus at the time was on the upgrades but there was plenty of material (extreem overkill) to address the ships systems in this thead.

Down side is that it's all long gone after 27 years.

Darn.
CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Hamilton class WHECPosted: July 28th, 2014, 7:21 pm
Very nice effort, though of course the issues pointed out by Timothy and Ace need to be addressed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: