Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 12th, 2014, 12:27 pm
heuhen wrote:
MC Spoilt B'stard wrote:
Looks good! Always wondered if the Norwegian Coast Guard ships could be uparmed in case of a war? like the USCG ships are fitted with CIWS ,torpedotubes, and anti ship missiles.
Nordkapp class was an cold war coast guard ship, and was thus build to be an war ship and could carry:

- up to 6 penguin launcher. (there have been disgusting in the Navy to give here capability to carry NSM, but since this ships are closing in to it's end of a long carrier...)
- Mistral launcher with missile.
- two triple torpedo launcher
- mines
- depth charges
- towed sonar.
- 56 mm foot designed to handle the old 3" guns.
- there was also an option on mounting Sea Sparrow launcher (MK29) on here..

Basically and Nordkapp class would be as good armed as an Oslo class except for Terne III and build in sonar. And we all know that during the cold war, Oslo class was one of the best armed ship of it's size... perhaps overarmed.

Other coast guard vessels in Norway can also be up-armed. specially the larger coast guard ships. they would most likely get, self defense system like Skjold class have, torpedo launcher, old school depth charges. ASuW missiles is also possible.

Edit: I just got an E-mail. Nordkapp class have an hull mounted sonar. Have to edit it in to the drawing. Nordkapp class is to be take out of service in 2020, Andenes can already go in 2016.
Strong little boat you guys got there :roll: Does the coast guard plan to replace them or just take them out?

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 12th, 2014, 1:00 pm
They will be replaced, discussion is what with. Some favor a modified, smaller version of SVALBARD, some favor more BARENTSHAV hulls, and some again want something completely new (and expensive).

Since they just spend millions repairing ANDENES after her little crash and her recent deployment to RECSYR, I personally doubt she'll go into the buoys any time soon...

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 12th, 2014, 2:25 pm
Eeo wrote:
They will be replaced, discussion is what with. Some favor a modified, smaller version of SVALBARD, some favor more BARENTSHAV hulls, and some again want something completely new (and expensive).

Since they just spend millions repairing ANDENES after her little crash and her recent deployment to RECSYR, I personally doubt she'll go into the buoys any time soon...

Yes since they repaired Andenes, she would be in service for an longer time, that means that the project for a new vessel is delayed.

Norway would most likely go for either an enlarged and modified "Barentshav class" with ice strengthened hull. or an totally new vessel that is capable to operation in all weather, with an ice strengthened bow, just like Nordkapp class.

I believe it would be an vessel that can replace and take over all task Nordkapp class have today, and it would be an vessel capable to operate comfertable in the North sea, but at the same time have some ice-breaking capability (not so extreme as Svalbard class). specially when we think about that today the Coast Guard are holding an close aye on Russian Navy, controlling fishing boats, transporting equipment for people all over in the North but also help out science people in the artice (Svalbard class have dad as it's main task, today)

Edit: done some cheeking, the new vessel, will replace "KV Andenes" directly, build with the same Principe. Government say the ship will have no weapons, but I think it will have. I believe it's a way for the Navy to tell its government, that the ship will have no weapon. then just a week later, the Navy equip it... behind the back of the government. Basically The Navy is playing poker with the government...

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 12th, 2014, 4:10 pm
Nordkapp class drawing updated with sonar.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 17th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Nordkapp class as build, here with KV Andenes:
[ img ]

And yes the radar is UK ASW-5

Nordkapp class was build with in Ice strengthen hull, with a ice breaker bow. and in the olden days before KV Svalbard come around, Nordkapp class often had to do things like this:
[ img ]

In this photo KV Andenes was tuck for a very long time, apparently the crew rotation was done by Helicopter. The science people used KV Andenes radars and GPS on this occasion to log how the ice move... so lucky for them but not Navy, for after some time KV Andenes had to get out from there, some documents says they used explosives to make an crack in the ice so she can move in. other documents say she got help from one of here sister ship...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 17th, 2014, 7:12 pm
Great drawing.

Moving around the Andenes when she was so ice-stuck at this angle must have been an annoying experience. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm
eswube wrote:
Great drawing.

Moving around the Andenes when she was so ice-stuck at this angle must have been an annoying experience. :lol:
try to sleep :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 19th, 2014, 8:54 pm
How about the NH-90's and AW-101's ? they wont fit onboard of the Nordkapp's.

And replacing them i would suggest to cooperate with the Danish Navy with the replacement of Thetis class ships.

------

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 19th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Nordkapp class and Svalbard class are currying NH90. Lynx are now going out of service since the NH90 is coming in. Not the hangar oh Nordkapp is handling the lynx in a semi compact mode, the hangar have been modified to handle NH90 as fully compacted.

I don't know where you are getting that replenishment talk from, but all Norwegian helicopter Carrying ship can replenish NH90.

oh Norway didn't use AW101, but the heli deck can handle it and refuel it.

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: Norway, Nordkapp class redo.Posted: August 20th, 2014, 5:40 pm
heuhen wrote:
Nordkapp class and Svalbard class are currying NH90. Lynx are now going out of service since the NH90 is coming in. Not the hangar oh Nordkapp is handling the lynx in a semi compact mode, the hangar have been modified to handle NH90 as fully compacted.

I don't know where you are getting that replenishment talk from, but all Norwegian helicopter Carrying ship can replenish NH90.

oh Norway didn't use AW101, but the heli deck can handle it and refuel it.
Ok , but i havent talked about replenishments? And how about the 16 AW-101's the Norwegian Airforce bought for the SAR duty's to replace the Seakings? :roll:

------

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: