Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
BB1987
Post subject: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 5:17 pm
Me doing a USN ship while I should have been working on IJN Battleships? Well, happens.

[ img ]

Still' it is not an actual redraw, I've just updated an existing drawing. Moreover, most of the work consisted in just cannibalizing Vossiej updated DDG-51, my changes were limited only in adding or modifying small details through picture screening and recoloring the underwater hull. So I'm not too sure whether it might be enough to add my name on it or not...

In case someone wants to do a comparision:
The original
DDG-51 by Mihoshick and updated by Vossiej

Pictures used:
Main reference: DDG-97 on February 14th 2013
"Backup" reference: DDG-97 in 2014 Useful to figure out which details would have been visible in Shipbucket scale.
Other images used as a reference:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... t_carr.jpg
http://www.c7f.navy.mil/imagery/high-re ... 35-446.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _DDG97.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Ocean.jpg

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on August 30th, 2016, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 5:48 pm
a few small things:
- updated sonar https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... SN%203.png
- the shading at the overhang at the bow might be too big following the 45 degrees rule. I have an (slightly inaccurate) lineplan for the class, do you want to check with it? or do you have a lineplan used for the hull shading?
- why the different propeller from vossiej's version? (might be that you are correct, or that both are incorrect, just checking why as I think both had the same propeller IRL)
- I am not certain there should be shading underneath the 'bend' line of the skeg, that depends on how fast she goes to vertical so I should check my refs for that

that said: AWESOME! I had a WIP for this very same thing lying around too, after I had done some small touches on vossiej's DDG-51 update (the one you worked from) and DDV, I planned to do the entire familly. I was however not interested enough in the class to really work much on it, so it never got finished. great to see the drawing got the update it deserved ;)

when finalised and perfected, I would like to see this underwater hull update on the basic burke too, if that is ok with you? if that is done, I would suggest putting credit on this one and not on DDG-51, because the research for this one should be well worth credit IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 6:02 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 6:30 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Good. you know, I had that sheet but I was a bit dubious about using that sonar or not, that's because the sheet says "Knox, Spruance" and somewhat made me believe that the bulb on the Burkes would have looked different despite being the same model. :lol: Well, at least I've got a clear answer to my inner questions.
acelanceloet wrote:
- the shading at the overhang at the bow might be too big following the 45 degrees rule. I have an (slightly inaccurate) lineplan for the class, do you want to check with it? or do you have a lineplan used for the hull shading?
Why not? I have no lineplan too, I've created the underwater hull shading from various pictures of this class (and the shading on the bow above the waterline is a leftover from nearly all the Burkes around the bucket)
acelanceloet wrote:
- why the different propeller from vossiej's version? (might be that you are correct, or that both are incorrect, just checking why as I think both had the same propeller IRL)
I've chosen that propeller because it looks more like the ones fitted on the actual Burkes:
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr74 ... _props.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ropped.jpg
acelanceloet wrote:
- I am not certain there should be shading underneath the 'bend' line of the skeg, that depends on how fast she goes to vertical so I should check my refs for that
Probably not, as the first picture from Curtis Wilbur linked above shows quite a sharp bend on it, still that is more of an "artist touch" of mine that anything else, like the shadow of the hull itself projects below. Possibly non the most accurate thing around, but I somewhat like the effect it gaves (aestethically, at least..)
acelanceloet wrote:
when finalised and perfected, I would like to see this underwater hull update on the basic burke too, if that is ok with you?
Absolutely ok :P

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 6:46 pm
Mighty fine work. I think they could have chosen a better name for this class, though, with all the great names that run through the navy. This one has to be up there with uss growler.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 6:53 pm
a new drawn propeller might be required (check the spruance one, maybe) because the one on your drawing is a 9-bladed one, while the one from the DDG-51 drawing is a 5-bladed one.
the sonar bulb is maybe updated slightly, but can indeed be represented with that drawing. (not because it is the same model sonar, but because the ship is designed for similar speeds and the sonar is the same size, being the same model) the reason it was not noted on that sheet is because I listed the ship drawings I actually used to draw that sonar, not which other ships fitted the same ;) but good thinking, better safe then sorry.
I personally do only a single line of shading under the hull at the skeg to represent the hulls shadow, like sb shading does. that said, artist touch indeed, and this is your choice

the linedrawing source I have is this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63276563/Burke.gif
it might not be entirely accurate, but it gives a hint at what shape you should have, and checking it with pictures you should be able to get it accurate.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 7:09 pm
Good work. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 9:09 pm
Well, this should do the job:

[ img ]

And the bonus, DDG-51 with the "U/W treatment"

[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 23rd, 2014, 10:36 pm
Very nice work, but might I suggest you copy the stern flap of this drawing? It's more accurate. (The bulb bow was hydrodynamically tested, but never adopted, even though it could give ridiculous fuel savings. In the order of up to ten percent...)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: USA - USS Halsey (DDG-97)Posted: September 24th, 2014, 6:37 am
ten percent x 62 = a lot of money.........

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: