Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 18th, 2014, 6:18 pm
My first complete effort at a real life subject. This ones for Bombhead, hope you enjoy my first 'paint by numbers' subject ;)

Big thanks to Novice and Hood who both gave assistance. (any mistakes are mine)

[ img ]

This is the first in this series. Hopefully will follow Enterprise as built, Emerald and Enterprise in mid 30's outfit, and if I can find enough references a wartime version as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 18th, 2014, 7:07 pm
:lol: I most certainly do Nigel, lovely drawing mate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 18th, 2014, 7:25 pm
Looks good, however the aft AA gun's barrel is grey rather than black. Personally I'd ad a touch of shading to the funnels and use dark red for the upper edge of the bilgekeel where it merges with the hull.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 18th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Might we see the E's with more than one turret?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 18th, 2014, 11:05 pm
Thanks for the comments guys,

Thiel, I thought about doing the funnels, but the photos I had showed the dark grey without any shade marks on them, so I left them as is.

Elf, There will probably be an all turret version appearing in Personal Designs in the future.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 19th, 2014, 3:43 am
Absolutely beautiful!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 19th, 2014, 8:56 am
Great work Nigel.
The E's were fine looking ships, in my view the pinnacle of the early light cruisers.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 19th, 2014, 9:12 am
Good work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 19th, 2014, 10:57 am
Truely a master piece, well done Nigel.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy "E" class CruisersPosted: October 19th, 2014, 6:16 pm
The second E class ship was HMS Enterprise. It was completed in 1926 to the same design as Emerald.

From Wiki:
In the early 1930s, Enterprise was fitted with a prototype twin 6" turret in place of her two forward single mounts; and with the trials proving successful it was retained for the rest of her service career. This turret was later worked into the design of the Leander, Amphion and Arethusa classes. The turret installation occupied less space than the superimposed 'A' and 'B' guns of Emerald, therefore the bridge was placed further forward. The bridge was of a new design, being a single block topped by a director tower, rather than the traditional platforms built around the foremast and wheelhouse topped with a spotting top. This design of bridge would appear in the County-class cruisers.

[ img ]

The early to mid 1930's is also when the ships went from flying off platform to catapult. Whether that work was done at the same time as the upgrade to twin 6" turret, I can not find. The plan I am working off shows both ships as twins from aft through to the fore funnel, then the bridge and gun alterations separates them.

If anybody can help me with information on that point, I will be happy to improve the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: