Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 7th, 2015, 9:45 pm
Hi again

IMHO these wires support suntents when the ship is at anchor and are not deployed when it is underway anyway. Don't see any other reason for that rig. So, no problem. I may be wrong though; further enlightenment is always welcome ;)

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 8th, 2015, 6:08 am
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hi again

IMHO these wires support suntents when the ship is at anchor and are not deployed when it is underway anyway. Don't see any other reason for that rig. So, no problem. I may be wrong though; further enlightenment is always welcome ;)

Greetings
GD
oh you mean the awnings they put over the deck to provide shade for the crew?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 8th, 2015, 8:06 pm
WWII44 wrote:
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hi again

Greetings
GD
oh you mean the awnings they put over the deck to provide shade for the crew?
Exactly that, you guys are right. They can be removed for training or combat duties. I've chosen to draw and feature them because every 1920s/early30s photo of the Nagato shows them.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 14th, 2015, 4:09 pm
Nagato as of 1936:
[ img ]
While beign in reserve, between 1932 and the summer of 1933 Nagato had the 76mm (3-inch) anti-aircraft guns landed and replaced with eight 127mm (5-inch) in four twin mounts. Four 40mm machine guns in two twin mounts were also added. A Kure type 2, model 3 catapult was fitted between the mainmst and the n°3 turret, a new aircraft handling crane was also installed. The old Nakajima E2N replaced with two Nakajima E4N. Meanwhile, on February 25th, 1933, Japan announced it's withdrawal from the league of nations, also deciding to not abide anymore to the Washington Naval Treaty limitations, although this was officially annonced only on December 29th 1934.
On April 1st 1934 Nagato started her main modernization at Kure Navy Yard, works continued until January 31st 1936. During the works her hull was lenghtened aft, a clipper bow retrofitted and torpedo bulges added. Torpedo armament was completely removed. Additional armor was added above magazine and machinery spaces, reaching a total thickness of 207mm (8.1-inch) split between the 69mm (2.7-inch) main deck, 100mm lower deck (3.9-inch) and the 38mm (1.5-inch) splinter deck. The maximum elevation of the 140mm (5.5-inch) casemate guns was increased to 35°, the two forwardmost ones were landed. Main gun turrets were removed altogheter and replaced with new ones, left in stock when the Tosa class Battleships were canceled. The new turrets had a face armor of 460mm (18.1-inch), 280mm (11-inch) on sides and 250mm (9.8-inch) on the roof. Maximum barrel elevation of 43° gave them a maximum range of 42.350 yards (or 37.825m and 20,4nm). All the original 20 boilers were replaced by new oil-fired Kampon boilers, four large and six small with an output of 82.000shp. This allowed the removal of the forward funnel, while the aft one was shifted slighly forward and increased in height. The mainmast was shortened and boat complement modified.

Both forward and aft superstructures were extensively modified with new platforms to house the new Type94 "hoiban" fire-control system and Type92 "shagekiban" artillery calculator. This included:
-Four 12cm observation and direction controllers (kansoku-kyo), two on level 7 and two on level 8 of the pagoda tower.
-Five secondary gun fire directors (fukuo hoiban soyoun sochi), two on level 4 (reserve), one on level 7 and two on level 8.
-Two target course and speed controllers on level 8.
-Two target tracing installations on level 8.
-The target course and speed computer (Type13 sokutekiban) on level 8.
-Two Type94 4,5m rangefinders for the secondary guns on level 7.
-The Type94 10m main gun rangefinder on level 9.
-The Type94 main gun director on level 11.

The main pagoda structure also housed:
-The two forward twin 127mm/40 Type89 High-Angle guns on level 2.
-The 127mm (5-inch) excersize gun on level 3.
-The flag station on levels 3 and 5.
-The navigation bridge on level 5.
-Two 1,5m navigation rangefinders on level 6.
-Two 60cm signaling searchlights on level 6.
-The main lookout station on level 6.
-Four searchlight directors (two on each side) on level 8.
-Six lookout posts (three on each side) on level 8.
-The battle bridge on level 10.
-The RDF equipment.

The aft superstructure housed:
-The two aft twin 127mm/40 Type89 High-Angle guns on level 2.
-The flag station on level 4.
-Two Type94 4,5m rangefinder for the aft HA guns on level 5.
-Two Type91 directors for the aft HA guns on level 6.
-The after bridge on level 6.
-Four lookout posts (two on each side) on level 6/7.
-The auxiliary Type94 main gun director.

Lattice platforms and deckhouses were added abreast the after, and now only, funnel. They housed:
-Two lookout posts (one on each side).
-Two Type94 4,5m rangefinder for the forward HA guns.
-Two Type91 directors for the forward HA guns.
-Six 110cm searchlights.

Now with an overall lenght of 224,94m (738ft) a beam of 34,6 (113.5ft) and a draft of 9,49m (31.2ft) Nagato displaced 39.130tons standard and 43.580tons at full load, her top speed drops to 25,3knots. Complement increases to 1.368 officers and men.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on February 17th, 2015, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 14th, 2015, 4:43 pm
My heart just stopped!

This may be the best BB drawing I've seen here, and one of my favorite Japanese ship at that. In just two years the Japanese effectively built a brand-new battleship. Quite a credit to the Kure Navy Yard and her designers.

Leads you to wonder what might have happened if Nagato and Mutsu ended up in the Solomons campaign.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 14th, 2015, 5:12 pm
really great drawing indeed

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 14th, 2015, 8:54 pm
EPIC job, my friend!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 14th, 2015, 11:59 pm
That detail.... :D

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
wb21
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 15th, 2015, 5:11 am
Impressive work, the pagoda masts bring out the intricacy of IJN warships.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Nagato Class Battleship. The Redux.Posted: February 15th, 2015, 11:26 am
This is perfection!
Stunning work - as always.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »

Jump to: