Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
David Latuch
Post subject: The French Courbet-Class BattleshipsPosted: March 4th, 2015, 9:16 pm
Here is Courbet, the lead ship of her class as she appeared in 1914:

[ img ]

The plan is to draw her as she underwent modifications through various refits and present the Coubet as she looked in 1918-1919, 1924-1926, 1930-1931, 1938-1942.

Last edited by David Latuch on October 15th, 2018, 6:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 4th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Beautiful drawing, David. I love the top view. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 4th, 2015, 10:05 pm
Lovely drawing David.
It is interesting that it is the 5.5" that make the hull bulge rather than the broadside 12". I too second the use of overhead drawings to really illustrate the drawing. (so said I have been lazy lately in not adding top views to the drawings I have done).

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 2:50 am
I hope you'll do The France as of 1914, since it had some historic impact, being underways from a state visit in Russia, carrying President Raymond Poincaré and Premier René Viviani back to France, through the Baltic. It was approx at the height of the tip of the Skaw that the ship's radio intercepted the famous message about the assassination of the Austro-Hungarian Arch-Duke Franz Ferdinand in the evening of June 28, 1914...

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 3:25 am
And another magnificent odyssey begins! Can't wait to see how this turns out! Beautiful work, as always!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 3:12 pm
Great work David.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 3:22 pm
Hi everyone

Congrats, David, I like it - the side view is a considerable improvement over my old drawing, and the top view is just superb.

Two little things, though: I have not checked exactly, but the secondary casemates look too narrow; I took the casemates of my AU Beveziers class battlecruisers from original plans of the Courbet-class from dreadnoughtproject.org, and they are wider.

What I am reasonably sure of is the lower hull colour, which was Schweinfurt green (pretty much the Default dark green in MS Paint, only a bit darker) for French Navy capital ships from the 1890s throughout the first world war; they reverted to red shortly after the war ended, but not before. I have quoted the source for that knowledge in some post back from 2013, but can't find it just now.

Otherwise, just great.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 3:37 pm
Garlicdesign wrote:
Hi everyone

Congrats, David, I like it - the side view is a considerable improvement over my old drawing, and the top view is just superb.

Two little things, though: I have not checked exactly, but the secondary casemates look too narrow; I took the casemates of my AU Beveziers class battlecruisers from original plans of the Courbet-class from dreadnoughtproject.org, and they are wider.
Thanks GD,

I compared what you had for the casmate guns to several photos and drawings and decided that your guns were just a bit too American in proportion rather than French--I'll PM you about this.
Quote:
What I am reasonably sure of is the lower hull colour, which was Schweinfurt green (pretty much the Default dark green in MS Paint, only a bit darker) for French Navy capital ships from the 1890s throughout the first world war; they reverted to red shortly after the war ended, but not before. I have quoted the source for that knowledge in some post back from 2013, but can't find it just now.

Otherwise, just great.

Greetings
GD
I was not sure about the green so I changed to to dark red. Thanks for the info.

I glad everyone likes Courbet. :D

Last edited by David Latuch on March 5th, 2015, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:26 pm
Fantastic work. Looking forward to see further updates! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship CourbetPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm
The planned 1938-1945 versions will be just, "Formidable" :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: