Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 8th, 2016, 12:27 am
And I wasn't referring to outline or such. I would though, insist on replacing those poorly drawn boats with those from the RN boat sheet. And, Krakatoa, I still wouldn't use the "R"-class a a reference guide for the shading, since that was an essentially very different hull design with very different lines. The archived Dreadnought is far better: http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 201906.png

[Profile] [Quote]
StealthJester
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 9th, 2016, 12:22 am
Greetings,

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their critiques;

I have made some changes based on these comments; new gun barrels, smoothing out the hull, etc.

I have eliminated shading from the hull for two reasons; First, I do not have the proper references for the Neptune's underwater hull (such as a hull contour plan) to accurately depict it. Second, I have noted a number of drawings in the archives without shading. My only alternative is to redo her as a waterline only drawing.

[ img ]

I have inadvertently overwrote the original drawing on page 1 with this one. Apologies.

Note to Krakatoa and Hood; Thank you for your support, but I will be returning to my AU after I get this drawing into an acceptable condition. Please realize that I lack the detailed references and time to do Real Design justice. Perhaps in the future after I gain more experience I will try Real Design again.

Cheers,
StealthJester

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 9th, 2016, 2:37 pm
I very rarely comment, I comment mostly when something is nice or good. And this drawing is quit nice. All you have to do, to get that extra little... is to study pictures.

But:
1. some places where you go from a flat surface to an angled surface, we use an dark grey line instead of black. (Black line only if there is an corner of 70-90 degrees, 45 degrees corner are colored in dark grey)

2. look on the photo below: on the superstructure, just above the forward main gun, there are some windows there.

Large photo:
http://i.imgur.com/xq8slan.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
StealthJester
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 9th, 2016, 10:17 pm
Thank you for your comments and suggestions, Heuhen.

"Softened" the superstructure where a flat plane relative to the viewer joins an angled plane - I like this approach.

Added portholes at conning tower structure (thank you for putting up the high-resolution photo - better detail than the images I was working from).

[ img ]

Cheers,
StealthJester

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 9th, 2016, 11:36 pm
Its looking better all the time SJ.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 10th, 2016, 12:06 am
Indeed. A testament on how sometimes a few pixels arranged or coloured differently can improve the appearance of a whole drawing!
Excellent work anyway. If you want to even put an icing on the cake, Bezobrazov did this nice sheet of Victorian era boats:
[ img ]
They were still in use in the early 1900s (Heuhen's picture of Neptune shows a 36ft steam pinnace for example) and you might perfect the drawing even more with them.

Keep up the good work, beign here on the Real design or in your War of the Americas AU! :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
StealthJester
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 10th, 2016, 12:17 am
Thanks BB1987!

I had looked for Bezobrazov's auxiliary boat drawings when it was first mentioned, but was unable to find them - this will definitely come in handy when I update the drawing.

For further reference - where did you find this?

Cheers,
StealthJester

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 10th, 2016, 9:44 am
StealthJester wrote:
Thanks BB1987!

I had looked for Bezobrazov's auxiliary boat drawings when it was first mentioned, but was unable to find them - this will definitely come in handy when I update the drawing.

For further reference - where did you find this?
I had it saved on my PC. Still I've tried to search for it on the board to. It was one of the last result of the 'search' function :lol: , but ultimately here is the original topic:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... ian#p43671

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 10th, 2016, 7:22 pm
I see this one is well in hand already, so I'll just chime in to tip my hat to the well-executed and ambitious first version, and the good progress achieved since.
This is so far a shining example of positive feedback between a beginner's design and veteran advice.
OK, just one thing though: the hull shading has been mentioned and will have to be addressed, but how about some relief shading on the lookouts and maybe the boat superstructures?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS NeptunePosted: August 10th, 2016, 7:55 pm
what exactly do you mean with relief shading?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: