Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
BB1987
Post subject: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 29th, 2016, 6:13 pm
At the outbreak of World War I, the Imperial Japanese Navy had a total of two modern destroyers capable of overseas deployment: the Sakura class Sakura and Tachibana. It was clear that this force would not enable Japan to fulfill its obligations under the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, so the Japanese government pushed through an Emergency Naval Expansion Budget in fiscal 1914 to allow for the construction of ten new destroyers. As speed was of the essence, the orders were given to both government and civilian shipyards (as was the case with the construction of the Russo-Japanese War vintage Kamikaze-class).
The ten Kaba-class vessels were built simultaneously at eight different shipyards around Japan. As there was no time to design a new vessel, plans for the previous Sakura-class destroyers were distributed to each shipyard, with the instructions that the power plant was to be a conventional coal-fired triple expansion steam engine, and not a steam turbine. Armament was the same as that of the Sakura class, with one QF 4.7 inch Gun Mk I - IV, mounted on the deck forward of the bridge, and four 3 inch 12 pounder guns, mounted one on either side and two towards the stern of the ship, with two torpedo launchers.
Given the speed of construction and the fact that eight different shipyards were used, it is a tribute to the Japanese shipbuilders that all ten vessels produced were uniform in appearance and capabilities, and performed reliably in their overseas deployment to the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea in combat operations in World War I. All ten vessels survived the war, and were retired on 1 April 1932.

(description courtesy of Wikipedia)

IJN Kaba as commissioned:
[ img ]

Kaba as of 1925:
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on September 10th, 2016, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 29th, 2016, 7:40 pm
Nice work BB1987.

1932 does not seem to be a good year for Japanese DD's? At least 12 DD's retired in the one year. (These 10 and the previous 2)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 29th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Nice work BB1987.

1932 does not seem to be a good year for Japanese DD's? At least 12 DD's retired in the one year. (These 10 and the previous 2)
Possibly a consequence of the London Naval Treaty. The last of the Fubuki class ships (Ayanami and Akatsuki subclasses) and the Hatsuharus were coming, so tonnage had to be freed for them.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 30th, 2016, 7:37 am
Another nicely drawn destroyer addition.
Yes, I think the scrappings were due to the London Treaty and the tonnage situation. Even so, I guess these older classes had little modernisation capability in them and would have been pretty obsolete by 1941.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 30th, 2016, 7:43 am
Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: August 31st, 2016, 3:30 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Kaba Class Destroyer.Posted: September 10th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Added Kaba as of 1925, showing stern sponsons for depth charges, englarged flag stations and canvas around gun platforms and bridge.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: