Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
waterwings
Post subject: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 24th, 2016, 8:36 pm
An updated version of something I drew a long while back. Also been a long while since I drew anything at all. However, made slightly easier since they've actually built the thing now (at vast expense), which was sort of the push needed to finish this. Totally worth putting the flight deck on the back without a hangar, makes this thing extremely versatile operationally :? . Could just have built some brit Khareefs, but the MoD needed to find a way to blow way more money and get far less ship. That's the BAe way when it comes to the RN.

[ img ]

Comments appreciated. Still no good at propellors. If I can find any good images I'll try and update this for the daft (and vastly expensive) BAe Type 31 concepts based on the River II hull, but there's not a lot of material out there yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 24th, 2016, 8:59 pm
I can't comment on details, but there are something that give me some wrong vibe (perhaps there is a cartoonish feeling).... but nice drawing anyway.

Here in Norway with our long coastline and big ocean to cover, not all of our coast guard ships have even a helicopter deck, only the large CG's have helicopter deck and hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 24th, 2016, 9:22 pm
That looks really good from what I have seen of the ship. Good shape, good detail, and a well-rendered bow flare and bulb.
Great job overall.

I'm a bit less sure about a couple of details though (beside the propeller):
- The relief lines around the bow thruster probably don't need to be black
- The rudder could afford to be less dark, since it is parallel to the hull side and not entirely within the drop shadow of the fantail
- Not sure that the shading under the bow flare is really necessary, given the difference in angle. Depends on the shading rules, of course
- Is there a good reason for the antenna bracket on the funnel to be open on the rear side?
- There are a lot of double black lines around the bridge, which you can remove by moving the liferafts and bridge windows down one pixel. Remains to be seen if you can change the shape of the windows or the bridge without compromising the overall look.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 24th, 2016, 10:33 pm
I concur with Citizen Lamda's concerns, but generally a very nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 25th, 2016, 7:42 am
I agree, once those points highlighted by Citizen Lamda are fixed this will be complete.
One further nitpick, generally doors are outlined in black, though hatches and covers tend to be dark grey.
Other than those issues, this is a very nice addition.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 25th, 2016, 11:35 am
Much appreciated! I've tweaked what I can ... I've tried a bit with the bow thruster but everything I did made it look worse so I've left that for the time being.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: October 25th, 2016, 2:20 pm
As far as my earlier nitpicks were concerned, the bridge windows, stack antenna and rudder look better already.
The hull shape and shading will probably remain a matter of personal style, at least as far as I am concerned neither the bow flare nor the thruster are blocking points.
Re. double black lines, IMHO you should look further into the life rafts on the fore deck, as well as the RHIB davit and whatever equipment sits between the stack and the mainmast. If an extended black area makes sense beyond a single separating line, maybe a dark grey will work too.

Once again, great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: November 13th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Really nice drawing, but I have to questioning the railing at the helideck. The rails have to lay down when the helicopter approach. The rails you've drawn are steady and therefore a hazard risk!

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: November 13th, 2016, 3:07 pm
is that a 40mm bofors on the front I thought the rivers were getting the 30mm DS mount as the bofors was withdrawn in the 90's

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: River Batch II OPV - HMS ForthPosted: January 19th, 2017, 9:31 pm
[ img ]

Kim, thanks - you're absolutely right, have updated.

Rifleman, just me being inept and putting the wrong weapon on!

I'll wait until she commissions properly to update it - no doubt there will be enough photos to refine all the details - the pennant number is guesswork at the moment, I don't think it'll be that big in reality but we'll see. Cheers guys ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: