Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
reytuerto
Post subject: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 16th, 2016, 1:50 am
Good afternoon:

Alvama's excellent drawing shows the peruvian turret ship Huascar as delivered by Laird's in 1866.
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... uascar.png
After problems in combat in May 1879, the foremast was beached, and a little pseudo-mizzen mast fitted. The bowsprit is controversial, in severeal drawings the ship is without it, but an article in "Engeneering" just after its capture in Angamos in October 1879, it appears with it, but broken by one Palliser shot. Huascar was painted gray, with mast and funnel in yellow.
It is depicted both in navigation (with the bulwarks -"falcas" in XIX century sailor's slang- raised up),
[ img ]
and in combat, bulwarks down and the main artillery in the turret exposed.
[ img ]
Credits:
Thanks to Alvama. His neat drawing was my starting line. Thanks also to Darth Panda, because I choose the color yellow of the funnel of his Victorian Royal Navy ships as color of my own drawing. And now, I will return to the Palmerston and Malta forts! Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
HyperHiggsHelix
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 16th, 2016, 4:16 am
I really like that turret design. Splendid work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 16th, 2016, 8:36 am
Nice work, builds nicely on Alex's original.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 17th, 2016, 7:31 pm
Very interesting history on the bulwarks detail. Very fine drawings :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 17th, 2016, 10:55 pm
Nice work.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 20th, 2016, 3:34 pm
Thanks for your feedback!.

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 20th, 2016, 3:50 pm
Great work! And, BTW, the ship still exists today.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: November 21st, 2016, 5:29 pm
Nice-looking little ship, well-executed drawing.
Took me until you explained about the bulwarks to find the turret on the second drawing :lol: An interesting concept for sure.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: December 1st, 2016, 2:47 am
Thanks Signal and Citizen Lambda.

Hi, yes is another ship (but also a turreted ship), but the same navy. Peruvian Navy monitor Manco Capac (Cannonicus Class):
[ img ]
The sail is an odd choice for a type of design with problems with the metacentric height. But the mobility of the ship was very poor (Manco Capac was towed to Callao by a paddler). Almost all his career was as a floating battery.
Credits: Thanks to C Hoefer. His nice series of USS monitors was my starting line. Cheers.

PS: My appologies for putting Manco Capac here :oops: .

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Peruvian turret ironclad Huascar.Posted: December 1st, 2016, 9:31 am
Why apologize? Not your fault if the ship was so badly designed in the first place!
Your drawing makes up for it, don't worry.

I'd raise a few minor points though:
- Are the rivets on the upper hull that proeminent that they show up at SB scale?
- Is there any reason for the sails to have colored stripes in addition to the darker vertical lines?
- Does the propeller cut into the hull? There is much less space between the hull bottom and the shaft than between the shaft and the bottom of the propeller.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: