Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 618 »
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 12th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Oh yes they look good.Trust me. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 3:06 am
With a special thanks to Hood, whose constructive critic made me look even closer and more attentatively on my effort, I'm now proposing that the final version of Sheffield can be presented. The proportions have been slightly (but crucially!) adjusted, the electronic equipment has been updated per the suggestions. The propeller (copied from SB) indeed was the wrong one. I've drawn a new, shovel-bladed one of the same type that's propellering the Type23s. And, - (and this is an embarrassement!), no port side bow anchor! How could I ever ignore that thing!!! :o :roll: :?: :oops: Anyhow, I've elected to retain the three helicopter types certified for the B2, and since Hood pointed out that the Sea King needs a do-over, I'm curious as to what. I copied that machine from (I believe) the latest helicopter template; the one compiled by Enrr among others. When I do the Coventry and London, however, I shall only equip each ship with one type each, but for now I'll allow Sheffield, my favorite, the distinction of displaying the variety of aircraft carried by this versatile frigate class.

Thus I present once more:

[ img ]

Edit: Have updated both this image with a correctly turned Type 911 radar director (port) and new Sea King (credit: Bombhead), which I've used on the updated HMS London as well.

Last edited by bezobrazov on February 16th, 2011, 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 5:10 am
why was it built with out a main gun?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 6:28 am
Excellent work. I think I would lighten the shade of white on the Ensign, but that's about it. Maybe also thicken the rudder post by a pixel or two. Note also that you've seemingly mixed and matched different Sea Wolf radar sets - is this intentional?

Could you also share whatever references you have on Royal Navy sonar sets from the period? It's something I know very little about.

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 7:08 am
You don't have to show torpedo for the surface ships, normally you only show torpedo only on submarines. At least leave out the Merlin, Merlin never served on the 22. too many helicopter make your drawing too busy. perhaps you can use different type of helicopter on individual ships, like HMS London with Sea King and HMS Sheffield with Lynx.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 8:10 am
An excellent project :)
Quote:
why was it built with out a main gun?
The concept of the Type I was that a gun wasn't necessary, given the deep atlantic asw role (plus cost) ; and of course, the Falklands proved that a gun was essential to allow a wider role. The type III's were ordered to replace the the ships lost at the Faklands (Type 21's and 42's), and as such were more 'general purpose', so at last the class got a proper gun

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 12:26 pm
The B1s were, of course, already designed and constructed when the Falklands conflict erupted in April 1982. Only the Broadsword and Brilliant were able to deploy though, but their lack of shore bombardment capacity and the rather erratic and unreliable nature of their Sea Wolf installations were revealed, which prompted a much more improved version to be fitted in the next Batch (Boxer, Brave, Beaver, Sheffield, Coventry and London) as well as the last four ships of the B3. The Sea Wolf, however, proved with adequate training and work-up to be a most deadly efficient air defence system at closer range, while the Sea Dart surprised with its reliability (not the radars though!) and its innate shore bombardment and ship-killer capacity! - But, not to digress - the overall design of the B2 had already been approved so there were hardly room for much changes in lieu of the experience from the Falklands. Some ships were fitted with an improved close-in gun system, but that was about it. A proposition to retrofit the B2s with the more capable MM40 SSM was vetoed on grounds of costs etc. The final axe, I believe came at the transition of power from John Major to Tony Blair, in 1997. Almost immediately the new Labor government presented a much slimmer defence budget which cut the RN:s frigate force by a third by 2005, while not providing any replacements. This forced the first four of the B2s out of service by the end of 1999, Coventry following in 2001 and Sheffield by the end of 2002. It had been proposed earlier to retain, at least the three latter ships till 2012-16. The Merlin did serve briefly on the Sheffield and made landings, at least, on the London as it was being certified, all aircraft belonging to the 700 NAS, but, yes, duee to the early retirement of the ships, it never had the time to become a permanent fixture on the ships. But, like I stated in my introduction to the latest update. I'm offering the Sheffield with all three types of aircraft, but will do the other sisters with more specific ones! And, erik_t: you may have to clarify your statement. If you refer to the Sea Wolf directors, they are shown front and back, depending on what side of the vessel you're looking at. Is that what you were confounded by??? and I followed Hood's advice by using the RN parts sheet for these.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 3:37 pm
That looks nothing like the back of Type 910. It looks more like the replacement system. Compare:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Like I said: hark at the responsible party for the drawing! I can, however use your close-UPS to redo the backs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Type22sPosted: February 15th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Bezobrazov look in your inbox.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 618 »

Jump to: