Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Midnightnova
Post subject: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 13th, 2011, 11:47 pm
[ img ]

Substantially if not fully done. Shots of the starboard side were even harder to find in good quality then they were for the Tri-deck version. Found that rather surprising.

Next up will be the toughest. Akagi as a battlecruiser.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 13th, 2011, 11:58 pm
Now here is an awesome drawing. Very nice, and does credit to this ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 2:19 am
Great work as always. More carriers need casemates!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 2:36 am
ahhhhh! nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 4:42 am
Great work mate. I have just finished reading Parshall and Tully's Shattered Sword ;- The untold story of the battle of midway The best bit naval history written in the last 10 years or so, necessary reading for anybody trying understand anything about this ship and the rest of Kido Butan ( First mobile Strike Force) and its somewhat faulty tactical usage during the battle.

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 5:31 am
Very nice work...thanks for posting!

Also: For those who have read Shattered Sword, if you look in the 'Acknowledgements' section and find the name '1st Lieutenant Matthew Jones of the U.S. Army', that's me. :) While not actually a 1LT, I nonetheless appreciated the great honor of being named in the book.

And yes, for those interested in Midway, Shattered Sword is THE book to read.

graham: If you'd like another recommendation, Tully's Battle of Surigao Strait is another 'must-read'.

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Wilco Vermeer
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 8:01 am
Very nice. But one thing does not seem correct to me. The three high calibre AA gunturrets seem to be somewhat low at the side of the ship and the flightdeck looks to straight for me and Akagi had a somewhat more bended flightdeck.

[Profile] [Quote]
Midnightnova
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 8:31 am
That is where the 4.7" mounts were. The mounts look a little odd because Akagi was intended to be refitted with newer model 127mm twin AA (Identical to those on Kaga) once she returned from Midway, of course Adm. Spruance interrupted that refit... These were a kind of "intermediate" outfitting with blast/fragment shields. You may also have her confused with Kaga as the 5" AA on Kaga were indeed carried higher up.

As far as the flight deck, if you look carefully, it still has a little of the bend. It is much more prominent on the triple-flightdeck version, the deck was somewhat (but not completely) leveled during the single-deck refit.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 3:48 pm
I've only got one aber: where's Vice-Admiral Nagumo Chuichi's command flag? I recall having seen images taken at the eve of the Pearl Harbor ops and Midway, which clearly show his pennant flying from one of the halyard, don't remember, though which side, although I believe it must have been SB side.

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: HIJMS Akagi (As of Battle of Midway)Posted: February 14th, 2011, 3:59 pm
Nicely done!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: