Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm
I keep coming back to this thread! Seeing the big carriers in our scale is definitely awesome.

Really looking forward to seeing some of the other units. I surprisingly don't know much about this class other than the very basics, but after reading so much recently about the early carrier battles and the shoestring Solomons campaign (where often times there was only one operational carrier in the theater), its super interesting to me how the US ramped up production and ended the war with literally dozens of carriers!

Re: the MIDWAY class CVBs, I'd definitely love to see those as well, especially in the original "as built" configuration -- but I think you've got a big enough project on your hands with this thread!

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 30th, 2017, 6:08 pm
Very nicely done!

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm
While CV-9 ESSEX was on a shakedown cruise off the Eastern Seaboard, CV-16 LEXINGTON, the second Essex class carrier was commissioned in February 1943. Originally named CABOT when laid down at Bethlehem, Quincy in July 1941, she was renamed after CV-2 was lost in the battle of Coral Sea in 1942.

All of the early Essex class carriers were essentially identical with a couple of distinguishing features but mainly the radar arrangement. In this drawing, you can see the SK air search radar (range: 100nm) located on the starboard side of the stack and the SC-2 back up air search (80nm) on a lattice mast on the port side. On the tripod is an SM height finder (50nm) for fighter control. SG surface search radar (22nm) is mounted above the SM and a YE homing beacon tops the foremast. A second SG radar could be mounted atop the main mast. Thanks again to Colosseum for the parts.

LEXINGTON arrived at Pearl Harbor in August 1942 and saw action in raids against the Japanese at Tarawa and Wake Island. She is depicted here in November 1943 as part of Task Group 50.1 (Interceptor Group) in company with CV-10 YORKTOWN and CVL-25 COWPENS as part of Operation GALVANIC (Gilbert Islands). I can find no photographic evidence of any deck markings other than the numbers. Information on deck markings is very sketchy before the standardized markings of 1944.

The Japanese referred to her as a "ghost ship" for her tendency to reappear after reportedly being sunk. She was the only wartime Essex not to be painted in dazzle and kept her Measure 21 paint scheme until May 1945. For these reasons the crew nicknamed her the "Blue Ghost".

Lexington sailed to raid Kwajalein on 4 December 1943. Her morning strike destroyed the SS Kembu Maru, damaged two cruisers, and accounted for 30 enemy aircraft. Her gunners splashed two of the enemy torpedo planes that attacked at midday, but were ordered not to open fire at night as Admiral Charles Pownall then in command believed it would give their position away (he was later replaced).

At 19:20 that night, a major air attack began while the task force was under way off Kwajalein. At 23:22, parachute flares from Japanese planes silhouetted the carrier, and 10 minutes later, she was hit by a torpedo on the starboard side, knocking out her steering gear. Nine people were killed, two on the fantail and seven in the chief petty officers' mess room, which was a repair party station during general quarters. Four members of the affected repair party survived because they were sitting on a couch that apparently absorbed the shock of the explosion. Settling 5 feet (2 m) by the stern, the carrier began circling to port amidst dense clouds of smoke pouring from ruptured tanks aft.

To maintain water-tight integrity, damage control crews were ordered to seal the damaged compartments and welded them shut, applying heavy steel plates where needed. An emergency hand-operated steering unit was quickly devised, and Lexington made Pearl Harbor for emergency repairs, arriving on 9 December. She reached Bremerton, Washington, on December 22 for full repairs, completed on February 20, 1944. The error in judgment concerning opening fire at night was never repeated, as thereafter gun crews were ordered to open fire anytime the ship came under attack. Following this attack, the ship was reported as sunk by Japan's Tokyo Rose, the first of several such assertions.

- taken from Wikipedia

LEXINGTON took part in most of the major battles of the remainder of the Pacific war and was decommissioned and placed in reserve in April 1947.
[ img ]

Last edited by Charybdis on July 30th, 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 30th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Nice work Chaybdis. These should just keep getting better and better.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 30th, 2017, 9:20 pm
Can I be the "bad cop" for a second? :P
On the top view the second 40mm gun tub aft of the island (the closest to the 5-inch guns) appears to have one side cut. The sponsons for the 20mm MGs on the island are still the three piece ones instead of the longer five pieces.

Outstanding job in any case, it will be a pleasure to follow this thread. :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 30th, 2017, 9:45 pm
Wow. This drawing is just plain splendid.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: July 31st, 2017, 12:05 am
YES! Was hoping the "Blue Ghost" would be making an appearance in this thread! Awesome work!

Question: When finished with the Essex-class, are you planning more drawings for Enterprise and Hornet? IIRC, you also drew the Yorktowns.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: August 1st, 2017, 7:09 pm
Another great work! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: August 1st, 2017, 7:22 pm
emperor_andreas wrote: *
YES! Was hoping the "Blue Ghost" would be making an appearance in this thread! Awesome work!

Question: When finished with the Essex-class, are you planning more drawings for Enterprise and Hornet? IIRC, you also drew the Yorktowns.
Personally I'd love to see the Ranger, I know someone started one a few years back but never finished it.

Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Essex Class CarriersPosted: August 1st, 2017, 8:07 pm
I thought someone had started her...thanks for confirming it.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 8  [ 79 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: