[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 28th, 2010, 12:35 am
Are you aboard a ship? Obviously so...

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 28th, 2010, 3:27 am
Thiel wrote:
Well, right now we're going to Saint Rose to pick up a load of High Sulfur Heavy Fuel that's going to Jamaica.
High SULFUR??? :o :? :shock:

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 28th, 2010, 3:25 pm
Yes? What did you think those great big MAN B&W diesels ran on? Diesel?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 28th, 2010, 11:37 pm
And here she is:
Attachment:
USCGC Durable.png
The USCGC Durable is probably the most successful cutter the USCG has ever operated when it comes to lives saved and drugs confiscated. I was actually rather surprised that she hadn't been drawn yet.
Anyway, here she is as she looked in1989 after her $28 million Major Maintenance Availability refit.
I'm working on another Reliance class Medium Endurance class boat, the USCGC Vigorous, and she'll represent how they looked before the MMA refit.

The Wiki article about the Durable is well worth a read.
There's still a few details that I need to work out, and the boat also needs some more attention.
I also need to ad a helicopter. Does anyone know what helicopters the USCG operated in 1989 and in the 1960ies?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 12:21 am
Thiel wrote:
Yes? What did you think those great big MAN B&W diesels ran on? Diesel?
I was hoping. But I guess it doesnt really matter because ships are efficient.

And it seems like they used HH-52s.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 1:06 am
Modern cargo ships uses six types of fuel:
HSMD - High Sulphur Marine Diesel
LSMD - Low Sulphur Marine Diesel
HSMGO - High Sulphur Marine Gas Oil
LSMGO - Low Sulphur Marine Gas Oil
HSHFO - High Sulphur Heavy Fuel Oil
LSHFO - Low Sulphur Heavy Fuel Oil

LSMD and LSMGO is pretty much only used during harbour operations and when transiting areas with a vulnerable environment. Whether you use one or the other depends mostly on price and engine type.

HSMD and HSMGO is used pretty much like their low sulphur counterparts, but mostly in countries with rather more lax environmental standards. (South East Asia, Africa, India etc.)

Before I go on, you need to know what heavy fuel is.
In essence, it's what's left after you refined all the good stuff out of crude oil. If you're lucky, they'll sieve the worst bicycles and boulders out of it, but don't count on it. At room temperature it has the consistency of toffee and it's filled with water. In order to burn it, we have to let it settle for a couple of days, heat it to 130 C and spin it in a centrifuge.

Anyway, LSHFO is used from the moment we leave coastal waters.
HSHFO is only used on what you might call the High Seas. It's illegal to use in European water and in the Gulf of Mexico and a host of other places, but it's cheap, which is important since some of the large containerships burns upwards of one hundred cubic metres per day at cruising speed.

Thank you for the helicopter. Has anyone rendered it in SB style?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 1:27 am
Thiel wrote:
Modern cargo ships uses six types of fuel:
HSMD - High Sulphur Marine Diesel
LSMD - Low Sulphur Marine Diesel
HSMGO - High Sulphur Marine Gas Oil
LSMGO - Low Sulphur Marine Gas Oil
HSHFO - High Sulphur Heavy Fuel Oil
LSHFO - Low Sulphur Heavy Fuel Oil

LSMD and LSMGO is pretty much only used during harbour operations and when transiting areas with a vulnerable environment. Whether you use one or the other depends mostly on price and engine type.

HSMD and HSMGO is used pretty much like their low sulphur counterparts, but mostly in countries with rather more lax environmental standards. (South East Asia, Africa, India etc.)

Before I go on, you need to know what heavy fuel is.
In essence, it's what's left after you refined all the good stuff out of crude oil. If you're lucky, they'll sieve the worst bicycles and boulders out of it, but don't count on it. At room temperature it has the consistency of toffee and it's filled with water. In order to burn it, we have to let it settle for a couple of days, heat it to 130 C and spin it in a centrifuge.

Anyway, LSHFO is used from the moment we leave coastal waters.
HSHFO is only used on what you might call the High Seas. It's illegal to use in European water and in the Gulf of Mexico and a host of other places, but it's cheap, which is important since some of the large containerships burns upwards of one hundred cubic metres per day at cruising speed.

HH-52 is essentially an S-62, and is very similar to the S-61/SH-3 Sea King, so you could "mod" the Sea King.

And thank you for the info on ship fuel.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 2:17 am
Thiel wrote:
Yes the original artist is no longer with us, but I saved it before the image went down:

[ img ]
ezgo394 wrote:
HH-52 is essentially an S-62, and is very similar to the S-61/SH-3 Sea King, so you could "mod" the Sea King.
Where do you get that idea?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 2:24 am
TimothyC wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Yes the original artist is no longer with us, but I saved it before the image went down:

[ img ]
ezgo394 wrote:
Where do you get that idea?
It is related development.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: US Coast Guard CuttersPosted: July 29th, 2010, 2:27 am
Thank you. Which colour scheme should I use for 1989?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: